Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is there a way to remove old Safari tabs from all devices?

I like to sync my safari tabs across my devices but I cannot get the tabs to close when I done with them. For example, I searched for tilapia fish on my iPhone about six months ago when I was in Mexico, but that web page tab link remains on my Macbook Pro. All of the online information is from 2016 and later. I have the same issue with my iPad and the issue is mirrored from my Macbook back onto my iPhone and iPad.

I'm running most current MacOS and iOS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 12:59 PM

None of these steps work. I even stopped iCloud tabs from all of my devices yet when I re-engage the iCloud tabs, they all come back. I've tried closing, I've tried deleting, I've tried clearing all my devices searches. I've restart all of my devices. They keep coming back.

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 1, 2023 1:13 PM in response to Staynavytom

Staynavytom wrote:

None of these steps work. I even stopped iCloud tabs from all of my devices yet when I re-engage the iCloud tabs, they all come back. I've tried closing, I've tried deleting, I've tried clearing all my devices searches. I've restart all of my devices. They keep coming back.

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Mar 31, 2024 11:18 AM in response to Staynavytom

Try laughing Safari with the Shift key held down to clear out caches, etc.

If that doesn't help give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jul 31, 2023 10:20 AM in response to Staynavytom

Hi Staynavytom,

Try the steps in the link below since you're seeking support clearing out your iCloud Tabs.

Set up and use iCloud Tabs

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "Open a tab or close a tab from another device."

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. Open Safari.
2. Tap the Tabs  button, then tap the New Tab button .
3. By default the Start Page includes a section showing the tabs that are open on your other devices.
4. Tap the one you want to open.
5. To close a tab from another Apple device, touch and hold the link, then choose Close.
On your Mac
1. Open Safari.
2. From the Bookmarks menu in the menu bar, choose Show Start Page.
3. By default the Start Page includes a section showing the tabs that are open on your other devices.
4. Tap the one that you want to open. 
5. To close a tab on another Apple device, Control-click the tab, then choose Close Tab.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to clear your iCloud Tabs.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2024 4:57 PM in response to Staynavytom

I have had this as well, and I have solved the mystery. If you are on iPad follow these steps

1. Open Safari
  2. Go down to iCloud Tabs
  3. Select each item you wish to remove hold you finger on it until a list of options appear at the bottom, press Close and the item with be removed.

If you have multiple items repeat these steps until all are removed.

NB: If you have multiple devices "synced" this will clear all removed items from all devices.

Apr 25, 2024 12:52 AM in response to DavidEdge080260

I've struggled with this too and just wanted to say that this solution worked for me, thank you David.

I had to install macOS a few times on my Mac and this caused multiple entries of that same Mac in iCloud tabs on my other Mac and on my iPhone. There's information online that old devices "disappear" after 14 days, but clearing the open tabs of the multiple entries of the newly-installed Mac on my iPhone removed those duplicate devices from my iCloud tabs. A brilliantly simple solution.

Cheers

Philip

Is there a way to remove old Safari tabs from all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.