eliminate Time Machine from it's partition on a 2 partition external hard drive

I have a two partitioned external hard drive. On one partition there is Time Machine. On the second partition I have other data not related to Time Machine. I have a separate external drive for my Time Machine. I want to remove the Time Machine that resides on the two partition drive and free up that space. How can I do this?

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 7:49 PM

You can erase the first partition, but you can not add the first partition back to the second partition.

To return that external drive back to one partition. You will need to copy the data on the second partition to another drive. Then erase and reformat the drive back to one partition. Then copy the data back to the single partition.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 7:49 PM in response to therunderwood

You can erase the first partition, but you can not add the first partition back to the second partition.

To return that external drive back to one partition. You will need to copy the data on the second partition to another drive. Then erase and reformat the drive back to one partition. Then copy the data back to the single partition.

eliminate Time Machine from it's partition on a 2 partition external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.