Data usage

Since buying and installing, and using, my iMac my data usage has jumped from around 3 Gigabytes per day to around 35 Gigabytes per day. Any suggestions as to why this has happened?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 8:19 AM

If you're talking about data numbers usage via your internet provider, that's not a Mac problem. That's not even a Mac concern. That's just the results of your online activities and how your ISP accumulates your data usage.

If you disagree with the data, take it up with your ISP. They're the ones accumulating the data and reporting it.

We have three iMacs and one MacBook Pro online 24/7. We have never come close to our ISP's data cap. Macs do check for updates as do many apps, but that is not data intensive.

Your ISP should be able to provide you with data that shows where your data usage comes from. Comcast does; it's rudimentary, but it's there to view. That may well be a part of our plan, but they should be able to backup their claims. Your ISP that is.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 8:19 AM in response to ku4hx

If you're talking about data numbers usage via your internet provider, that's not a Mac problem. That's not even a Mac concern. That's just the results of your online activities and how your ISP accumulates your data usage.

If you disagree with the data, take it up with your ISP. They're the ones accumulating the data and reporting it.

We have three iMacs and one MacBook Pro online 24/7. We have never come close to our ISP's data cap. Macs do check for updates as do many apps, but that is not data intensive.

Your ISP should be able to provide you with data that shows where your data usage comes from. Comcast does; it's rudimentary, but it's there to view. That may well be a part of our plan, but they should be able to backup their claims. Your ISP that is.

Jul 31, 2023 5:31 AM in response to ku4hx

OK, written in haste, and I apologise. Rephrase: my internet data usage has increased from around 3 Gigabytes per day to around 35 Gigabytes per day since installing my iMac (M1 16Gb running Ventura 13.5). Everything else seems to have remained the same, domestic use only, and the style of use remains the same, we do the same amount of Netfix/etc streaming, the same amount of emails, web searching, iCloud use seems the same. The only variable that I can identify is the iMac. I would have expected some increase in the first week, with set-ups etc, but after I would have expected it to go back to what it was. So I am wondering what I am missing. Any suggestions?

Jul 31, 2023 8:02 AM in response to WestKester

Jul 31, 2023 8:44 AM in response to WestKester

I may be wrong but I believe Netflix monitors your connection to their servers and will dynamically adjust the content quality (and streaming data size) to provide the best viewing experience.

The new iMac may be able to receive faster network bandwidth; you may have upgraded your ISP connection speed, or the network fabric between you and the Netflix servers has become more efficient — allowing Netflix to sense the ability to deliver dynamically higher resolution (larger) content, and thus your monthly data usage increases.

Is there someone in your home that may be streaming Internet content without your knowledge?

Data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.