Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iTunes/Music - "There was a temporary problem completing your request" - But only on desktop, not mobile devices

I have no idea if this is an iTunes or a Music issue. Apple has blurred the lines on the two services too much. For the record, I'm running that latest MacOS Ventura 13.5 on my M1 Studio Max. This has been going on for months so please don't suggest I reboot the Mac or check for updates.

I open Apple Music on my desktop, I can click on Listen Now and Browse but all it will show me is music from my hard drive, nothing streaming. I open the Radio toggle. All I get is a blank window stating: "There was a temporary problem completing your request". However all those features are available on my iPad and iPhone. All are logged into the same Apple profile. I've tried de and re-authorising the Mac, but no change. There are no error codes in the notice, only what I posted.

Any ideas? thx

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 11:34 AM

If you subscribe to Apple Music, did you turn on Sync Library pin your Mac? See the 'How to turn on Sync Library on your Mac' section in:

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

BTW, on MacOS Ventura, iTunes no longer exists. It was essentially renamed to Music. But that does not mean you need an Apple Music subscription. Yes, it is confusing.

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 11:34 AM in response to JKN1

If you subscribe to Apple Music, did you turn on Sync Library pin your Mac? See the 'How to turn on Sync Library on your Mac' section in:

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

BTW, on MacOS Ventura, iTunes no longer exists. It was essentially renamed to Music. But that does not mean you need an Apple Music subscription. Yes, it is confusing.

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2023 8:15 AM in response to javaliga

Thank you! This did the trick. I had changed my Apple ID password a few weeks ago. It transitioned to my mobile doohickeys but I didnt realize I had to sign in again in the Music app itself and not just the OS.

The sync library stuff has gotten waaaaaay confusing over the years and yet Apple assumes everyone can figure out syncing/authorizing/auto-downloading/etc. without being an Apple engineer. But thats a whole 'other rant. :D

iTunes/Music - "There was a temporary problem completing your request" - But only on desktop, not mobile devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.