my ipad is locked and i forgot the password

How do i unlocked my forgotten password on my ipad?

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 10:20 AM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2023 10:34 AM in response to ConfusedX22

Is the iPad disabled, locked with a forgotten iPad Passcode, or Activation Locked? Something else?

A forgotten or unknown iPad passcode cannot be recovered - and neither can it be reset or modified from another device.

You may find this support page to be helpful:

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

Activation Lock

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be satisfied:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the previous owner, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist - and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have recently introduced a portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

iPadOS 15.2 or later with a forgotten Passcode

Apple has introduced a procedure with which to reset an iPad or iPhone with a forgotten Passcode - allowing you to use your AppleID and associated Password to reset your device.

How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support

You will be able to restore data from a pre-existing iCloud backup without the use of a computer, but will require a PC/Mac to restore data from an iTunes backup.

iPadOS 15.1 and earlier - and all devices that are Disabled

If your iPad is disabled, or you have forgotten your iPad passcode, you have no alternative other than to follow this process:

If you’ve forgotten the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled – Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

AppleID

You’ll need the AppleID and associated password. For which you’ll need the owner to assist. If these credentials have also been forgotten, they can be recovered by the owner here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

More information about recovery of your AppleID and associated Password can be found here:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Jul 31, 2023 10:26 AM in response to ConfusedX22

If you've forgotten the password for your iPad, you can try the following steps to unlock it:

1. **Use Face ID or Touch ID (if available):** If your iPad supports Face ID or Touch ID, try using your registered face or fingerprint to unlock the device. This will bypass the need for the passcode.

2. **Attempt the passcode multiple times:** You can attempt to enter the passcode multiple times. After a few unsuccessful attempts, your iPad might prompt you with a message saying "iPad is disabled." At this point, it's essential to be cautious because repeatedly entering the wrong passcode might lead to your iPad being temporarily disabled.

3. **Use iTunes (Data Loss):** If you have synced your iPad with iTunes on your computer before, you can connect your iPad to the computer and use iTunes to reset the device. However, please note that this will erase all the data on your iPad.

Here are the steps for using iTunes to reset your iPad:

- Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes.

- Put your iPad into Recovery Mode:

- For iPads with Face ID: Quickly press and release the Volume Up button, then the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Power button until the recovery mode screen appears.

- For iPads with a Home button: Press and hold the Home button and the Power button together until the recovery mode screen appears.

- iTunes will detect your iPad in recovery mode and ask if you want to "Restore" or "Update" your device. Choose "Restore" to reset your iPad to factory settings. This will erase all data on your iPad, and you will need to set it up as new or restore from a backup.

4. **Use iCloud (Data Loss):** If you have enabled Find My iPad and remember your Apple ID and password, you can use iCloud to remotely erase your iPad and set it up as new. However, this will also result in the loss of all data on the device.

Here are the steps for using iCloud to erase your iPad:

- Go to iCloud.com on a computer or another device.

- Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

- Click on "Find iPhone" and then select "All Devices."

- Choose your iPad from the list of devices.

- Click on "Erase iPad" to erase all data and settings on the device.

If none of these options work, or if you encounter any difficulties, it's best to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can guide you through the process and provide more personalized help for unlocking your iPad.

my ipad is locked and i forgot the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.