Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

All the notes on my iPhone disappeared

All my notes disappeared! I rely on my notes app and suddenly they were all gone. Blank app. Nothing in recently deleted. All 0. What's weird is that if I pull down the screen and search for different terms, they come up, but when I press it to open it, it takes me to the notes home page with no notes. They're not backed up on iCloud. I used a data recovery tool, and weirdly, it pulled all of the attachments (photos, etc) from my old notes, but none of the actual notes. So I can tell they exist somewhere I just can't figure out how to restore them. At one point when I first noticed this, I created a new note and when I went back it was gone. But now new notes are saving. Where'd they all go and how do I get them back?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 9:01 AM

this morning i used my notes app and everything was fine but now when i checked it says zero notes , everything is deleted. i have a lot of information on my notes app that i require in my daily life . Please how can this issue be fixed ??

75 replies

Dec 10, 2023 10:55 PM in response to shahzamikhan

The same thing just happened to me. I wrote something in my notes about 30 mins ago, went back to add to it and suddenly everything from the last 2 years is gone. I still have my notes from 2021 and prior, but all my recent stuff has disappeared. My notes were not connected to iCloud. Is there any other way i can recover them? I use the notes app very frequently and the missing notes are very important to me.

Dec 19, 2023 12:47 PM in response to annieluh1

My notes have completely disappeared. I have turned on all of the things suggested here and still they haven’t been retrieved. I have very Important things written in there that I desperately need back. There must be another way to get back the notes lost beyond the iCloud. Why was there not a fail safe for an issue like this? Sorry I’m quite distressed I hope there is something to help me.

Jan 11, 2024 12:57 AM in response to annieluh1

Someone help! all of my notes went missing!!! I think it’s a bug bc a few days prior I received a weird notification from Siri I never opened it but apparently other people had received this notification as well. Then a couple days later out of no where my phone completely goes black and it wouldn’t turn on and once it did my notes were all gone!!! It’s been 2 days and they’re still gone!!! I have important stuff on there and I really need to recover them!!!! Please help

Jan 12, 2024 10:50 PM in response to annieluh1

Today I tried to access my Notes App on my iPhone 14 and could not find it on the first screen. On the second screen I found Reminders which I have never seen before and I had not asked for. There is nothing of my old Notes (in 2 folders) that I used to have and it is very distressing as I rely on those notes all the time. I have Googled to find out how to restore Notes to no avail. I am hugely disappointed in Apple at the moment and need help.

Aug 1, 2023 8:27 AM in response to annieluh1

Hi there annieluh1,

If your notes are missing, you'll want to start by making sure your iPhone is updated to the latest software version, which is iOS 16.6. You can see the currently installed version by going to Settings > General > About > Software Update. If needed, learn how to update your iPhone here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Next, your notes may have been stored in a different account. Follow the steps below to see if they help recover your missing notes:

Check your account settings
If you store your notes with a third-party account or email service, like Gmail or Yahoo, check your settings:
1. In the Settings app, tap Mail.
2. Tap Accounts, then tap the email account that you want to check.
3. Make sure that Notes is on.
If you use Notes with more than one email account, just repeat the steps for each account. If your account is missing, learn how to add an email account to your device.

You'll find those steps and additional guidance here: If you're missing notes on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

To prevent this from happening in the future, you can use iCloud Notes: Set up iCloud for Notes on all your devices - Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 16, 2023 2:10 PM in response to annieluh1

If you didn’t do anything and suddenly your notes disappear, it could be because of a glitch.

If you store your notes on the iCloud folder then you’d just have to refresh in some ways and it’ll come back. But if your notes are stored on the “on my iPhone” folder, then the only way to get it back (as far as i know) is if you have an icloud backup of your whole device, then you have to erase your phone and restore it using a backup of an earlier version of your phone (one where your notes hopefully still exist). If you know the date of the last time you saw your notes, you can try to use a backup that’s around that time. Unfortunately i think it is still a gamble on whether you will get your notes back or not.

I had 800+ notes on the “on my iphone” folder and thankfully i was able to restore it that way, good luck everyone.

Dec 16, 2023 2:15 PM in response to Doughboy97

are your notes on the icloud folder or on the “on my iphone” folder. If it’s on the icloud folder the data should still be there you can check on the icloud website. But if it’s in “on my iphone” folder, it might be deleted due to a glitch, and you might need to restore a backup of your phone. Check my reply for more details. Hopefully you can retrieve it.

Jan 3, 2024 4:51 AM in response to annieluh1

I was on the phone with apple for about two hours. Here is what worked for me, I also do not recall if I had my notes turned on to save to iCloud or my phone.

we went to general and erased my phone, turned it back on and restored it from a previous backup, I used a back up from Dec 30 as that was the oldest to pick from.

But when the phone is done restoring you’ll need to turn on airplane mode right away, turn setting on in notes to save to phone. Then you may see your notes (I did). I then took photos of all my notes, I heard some copy and paste and create a new note saved to their phone but I wouldn’t even trust that.

while still in airplane mode, if I went to edit one of the notes it would then disappear. When I turned airplane mode off the note showed back up, and then all my notes went away again besides the ones that I did edits to while in airplane mode.

It is strange and I am not sure what is happening, apple also could not tell me what is happening either.

Hope this helps someone.

All the notes on my iPhone disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.