I have a macOS catalina version 10.15.7, can i update my mac without purchasing a new one ?

I have a macOS catalina version 10.15.7, can i update my mac without purchasing a new one ?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 12:20 PM

Which version you can update to is 100% dependent on your Mac model (and year). Without knowing that, no one can answer the question.

Your profile lists an 'iMac 21.5"', but there are many of those, released just about every year from 2009 through 2019.

Generally, the App Store will offer the latest version compatible with your system, but to be sure, check 'About This Mac' from the Apple menu to find the specific model and year. Then you can use the links on Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support to find which version is the latest you can support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 12:20 PM in response to melaniestuart

Which version you can update to is 100% dependent on your Mac model (and year). Without knowing that, no one can answer the question.

Your profile lists an 'iMac 21.5"', but there are many of those, released just about every year from 2009 through 2019.

Generally, the App Store will offer the latest version compatible with your system, but to be sure, check 'About This Mac' from the Apple menu to find the specific model and year. Then you can use the links on Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support to find which version is the latest you can support.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.