Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correctly spelled words being changed despite Auto-Correction and Predictive OFF

I’m using the swipe keyboard. I type a word, it gets changed after typing the next word, I change it back, it reverts to the wrong word. No combination of settings can stop this happening in any app. Running iOS 16.6

Newton

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:48 AM

Yep. This is baked into Apple’s atrocious swipe keyboard implementation, and there is no way to disable it. None of the autocorrect or predictive settings have any effect on it. It is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I’ve been craving it (it just did it again!)… screaming it out as much as I can online, in the hopes that it will get some traction and Apple will finally let us inhibit it. All it would take is a simple setting: “disable prior-word correction with swipe entry.”

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 9:48 AM in response to gmtruong

Yep. This is baked into Apple’s atrocious swipe keyboard implementation, and there is no way to disable it. None of the autocorrect or predictive settings have any effect on it. It is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I’ve been craving it (it just did it again!)… screaming it out as much as I can online, in the hopes that it will get some traction and Apple will finally let us inhibit it. All it would take is a simple setting: “disable prior-word correction with swipe entry.”

Oct 26, 2023 9:51 AM in response to LeleN1

No, it IS working correctly. That’s the problem. The issue described in the original post is baked into Apple’s swipe algorithm, and there is no way to disable it. They simply need to fix it. I’ve screen-recorded numerous examples of it doing this, on multiple Apple devices. If you’re somebody who always swipe-types, you see this issue multiple times every day.

Aug 2, 2023 7:39 AM in response to gmtruong

Hi gmtruong,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities! Since your keyboard doesn't seem to be working as expected, try restarting your iPhone. Restarting can fix many issues:

"How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone 6, 7, 8, or SE (2nd or 3rd generation)

1. Press and hold the side button until the power-off slider appears.

""

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo."

Find these steps in the article Restart your iPhone. It may also help to remove and read the keyboard in Settings > Keyboards.

Cheers!

Aug 3, 2023 5:44 PM in response to gmtruong

Hi gmtruong,

We appreciate you giving those steps a try.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you.

Does it help if you toggle off and on the "Slide to Type" switch?

Type with the onscreen keyboard on iPhone - Apple Support

If yes, please reach out to us here so we can take a closer look into the issue: Get Support

Take care!

Sep 12, 2023 10:13 AM in response to gmtruong

Having the same issues, just updated to 16.6.1. No change, it's so annoying because it appears I constantly have typos when I text people because my previous words get switched and I'm not a final proof reader, I proof as I go. Luckily they added the ability to edit text to help fix this issue *he said sarcastically. Not my texts are just littered with the "edited" tag. There is no solution on our end, I wish they'd stop suggesting resetting anything when the problem is the ios software.

Correctly spelled words being changed despite Auto-Correction and Predictive OFF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.