iPad defaulting to internal mic instead of AirPods mic

During gaming and third party apps the internal mic on my iPad Pro is being used instead of my AirPods Pro 2. The same occurs with alternate brand headphones - it is still defaulting to the internal mic. During calls on my iPhone the AirPods Pro mic works fine.

How do I switch it back to the AirPods mic and stop it defaulting to the internal mic?

All permissions are done for the apps in the security and privacy section. Mic is turned on for the individual apps. The games do not have options to select specific mics.

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 6:36 PM

Riley505 Said:

"iPad defaulting to internal mic instead of AirPods mic: How do I switch it back to the AirPods mic and stop it defaulting to the internal mic?"

-------

Troubleshooting AirPods Sync:

1. Reset your AirPods: How to Reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro – Apple Support

then...

2. Restart your iPad: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Riley505

Riley505 Said:

"iPad defaulting to internal mic instead of AirPods mic: How do I switch it back to the AirPods mic and stop it defaulting to the internal mic?"

-------

Troubleshooting AirPods Sync:

1. Reset your AirPods: How to Reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro – Apple Support

then...

2. Restart your iPad: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Jul 31, 2023 8:10 PM in response to Riley505

Riley505 Said:

"Thank you. I have reset the AirPods (a few times), done a soft rest of the iPad, restarted. Same issue is happening with Sony headphones connected to the iPad."

-------

You are welcome...

Troubleshoot the iPad's Bluetooth:

iPad defaulting to internal mic instead of AirPods mic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.