what does the automatically check for updates toggle do on macos ventura?

obviously it 'automatically checks for updates', but when i go to settings > general > software update it automatically checks for any updates once i reach that screen, so does the toggle mean do it in the background? if so i dont see a need for me to have the toggle on because i follow whenever apple releases software and i prefer to install it manually rather than have it automatically ping me when there is a new software available. if thats what this toggle controls then id like it off. asking someone who knows stuff abt macs to answer this cuz im new to the family lol. thanks so much,

estro

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 6:27 AM

12 replies

Aug 1, 2023 7:08 AM in response to estrobink

estrobink wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a3549c0a-903c-473b-b42a-fc3864e64d29
obviously it 'automatically checks for updates', but when i go to settings > general > software update it automatically checks for any updates once i reach that screen, so does the toggle mean do it in the background? if so i dont see a need for me to have the toggle on because i follow whenever apple releases software and i prefer to install it manually rather than have it automatically ping me when there is a new software available. if thats what this toggle controls then id like it off. asking someone who knows stuff abt macs to answer this cuz im new to the family lol. thanks so much,
estro

?

I don't get it, Automatic check is not the same thing as automatic install...

Your limited screen shot does not show the whole picture.

ref: Change Software Update settings on Mac

Aug 1, 2023 7:08 AM in response to estrobink

In first image - the Round Button to the right of " On "

Click it to open a pop up windows much like in second image below

Are ALL the Options enabled

Then the begs the question.

If the user profile accurate ? MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5 ?

If Yes, last I looked Ventura 13.5 is the Latest Version of the Stable version of Ventura

Finding available software

Software Update found the following full installers:

* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.5, Size: 11654590KiB, Build: 22G74,

* Title: macOS Ventura, Version: 13.4.1, Size: 11513284KiB, Build: 22F82,

Aug 10, 2023 11:11 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi I have a tangent question:

I recently had a problem with Adobe InDesign. One thing that was suggested was to make sure I was up to date on my OS. I checked and I have Ventura 13.1 but not anything more recent available. I have a new enough computer and enough space. What could be going wrong?

what does the automatically check for updates toggle do on macos ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.