Transferring files from a Mac

I use my old iPad (9.35) for storing technical manuals but when I recently tried to add more files I messed up so I tried to restore it from the cloud, I lost the lot. I can see them on my Mac but I cant get them to transfer, I can email the file but when I try to open it tries to connect to cloud. I need to be able to read the files offline. It looks like my Mac has only access to the cloud documents but I only want the cloud for a back up.

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 12:18 PM

Open a finder window on the Mac, click on iCloud Drive in the finder window. Navigate to the document and see if you can copy it to the desktop. Hold down on the option key and drag it to the desktop. That will copy it to the desktop but leave the original document in iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 12:18 PM in response to KAZ2598

Open a finder window on the Mac, click on iCloud Drive in the finder window. Navigate to the document and see if you can copy it to the desktop. Hold down on the option key and drag it to the desktop. That will copy it to the desktop but leave the original document in iCloud.

Aug 2, 2023 1:30 PM in response to KAZ2598

I must have misunderstood you. I thought that you wanted to email the file to the iPad. Are you trying to transfer the files using iTunes or the Finder on your Mac? Why don’t you just use iCloud on the iPad? You should be able to access the files in the files app, if that exists in iOS 9.3.5.

Transferring files from a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.