My Apple ID was hacked. Need help signing out of my MacBook .

4 weeks ago my apple ID was hacked. Long story short: phishing email, clicked and gave password thinking I was contacting Apple support. Hacker added trusted phone #, removed my trusted phone #, changed password and started making purchases on my credit card all in less than 3 min.

Yes I know very stupid, never said I was a genius. My Apple ID is gone forever, I understand that.

I contacted the real Apple support immediately and also froze my credit cards. No Financial cost to me.

I then had to request that Apple unlock my iPhone and my MacBook. Having it unlock by Apple means that I lost all of my data, contacts, purchased apps etc. and start over with a blank phone. I'm a senior and needed assistance to back up my data and reset my phone.

My iphone was unlocked but I received no reply from Apple support regarding my MacBook. I called Apple support for the umpteenth time and after being pasted around was told that the request to unlock the Macbook was denied and would not be reconsidered, Apple support could not tell me why. My Macbook does still function quite well except no FaceTime, Messages, apps purchased through Apple. Problem is I can't log out of my old Apple account because that requires the password which the hacker has changed.

My son-in-law says because my Macbook does not contain the T2 security chip Apple can't totally lock or destroy it.

My question is is there any way to remove the Find my lock from my computer?

The hacker never accessed my iphone or computer, I really don't understand why I must lose the use of my computer.

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:15 PM

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud+ - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using a Mac if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

Here are additional resources as the account owner or if you have an Apple accepted proof or purchase:

● Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

or if the owner no longer has access to a device it can can be removerd from Find My on iCloud.com. as described in this support article Remove a device from Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support --> "You can use Find Devices on iCloud.com to temporarily remove a device from the Devices list or turn off Activation Lock on a device you already gave away or sold."

● Help with a lost Apple ID or password:

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID (this is likely an active email address or one used in the past), click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID password, click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

● Reset device if you can prove to Apple's satisfaction you are the owner:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online* at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt** issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer). Note that while this will let you get use of the device again, it will not help you with lost access to an account.

* There is a special link for this service. To save time you should use it instead of https://getsupport.apple.com/ .

**Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 7:15 PM in response to madhutch

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock ( Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support ) and Find My ( iCloud+ - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using a Mac if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

Here are additional resources as the account owner or if you have an Apple accepted proof or purchase:

● Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

or if the owner no longer has access to a device it can can be removerd from Find My on iCloud.com. as described in this support article Remove a device from Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support --> "You can use Find Devices on iCloud.com to temporarily remove a device from the Devices list or turn off Activation Lock on a device you already gave away or sold."

● Help with a lost Apple ID or password:

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID (this is likely an active email address or one used in the past), click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID password, click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

● Reset device if you can prove to Apple's satisfaction you are the owner:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online* at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt** issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer). Note that while this will let you get use of the device again, it will not help you with lost access to an account.

* There is a special link for this service. To save time you should use it instead of https://getsupport.apple.com/ .

**Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2023 7:01 AM in response to madhutch

We are just users like yourself and except for generally broad statement in their documentation we do not know why Apple does things the way it does. All we have to go by really is their online documentation and judicious assessment of what user posts here indicate. If you feel you need to discuss this with them then give them a phone call and maybe ask for the issue to be taken to a higher level.

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone ➞ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2023 4:46 AM in response to madhutch

Requests to remove the lock were sent to Apple support online. The requests included the receipts for the iphone and the MacBook. The Macbook was purchased from Apple, online store. And the receipt was from Apple, AMR_Payment_Processing_CAN@apple.com.

I don't understand why the request to unlock the iphone was approved and denied for the MacBook. Also why can't Apple support tell me why the request was denied?

Aug 2, 2023 8:01 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos. Thank you for the info you gave, you have demonstrated a desire to help which I'm not getting from Apple support.

I must admit I'm just not yet up to dealing with Apple telephone support again.

I have 5 different case #'s, each time I call requesting help I have to explain again what happened, each time I'm given different information. Each case number has been classified as resolved and closed. I've had 2 Apple rep's say I had 2 factor ID on my account and 2 Rep's who say I did not have 2 factor ID.

I'm trying to do as the Police officer suggested when I reported the hacking. He suggested trying online support, as it far less frustrating than dealing with a call to someone who is less than helpful.

My Apple ID was hacked. Need help signing out of my MacBook .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.