Iomega Zip 100 not showing on iMac Ventura 13.3.1

I have an Iomega Zip drive 100 and disks I need access to. Is there a way for me to get the drive to work with my 2021 iMac using Ventura 13.3.1?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 6:02 PM

It's highly unlikely. I don't believe there are 64 bit drivers available for that device. They've been discontinued for years. That drive was originally released in 1995. I'm surprised there are any that are still alive today.

4 replies

Aug 1, 2023 7:52 PM in response to acoa160

If you still have any important data that is only on Zip disks, I would suggest that you get it off Zip disks as soon as possible.

When Zip drives came out, there was a saying: "Zip: The sound of a body bag closing over Syquest". Then came the infamous "<CLICK> of death".

https://www.cnet.com/tech/tech-industry/click-of-death-strikes-iomega/

Aug 3, 2023 1:54 PM in response to acoa160

Do you have access to an older Mac? I believe I was able to use a Mac from 2014 running macOS 10.10 to access an old ZIP drive several years ago (USB version I believe).

If the disks are partitioned using the older Apple Partition Map and possibly even the old HFS (no plus) file system, then I don't believe recent versions of macOS will be able to read the disks even if the drive is accessible.

If you don't have an older Mac, then you may be able to use a Linux boot disk for a Windows PC in order to access the content. Knoppix Linux usually works well plus it has lots of drivers enabled for various hardware and file systems so it should be able to access the content.

Iomega Zip 100 not showing on iMac Ventura 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.