Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I fix my water damaged AirPods?

So I had dropped one AirPod (2nd generation) in the toilet while cleaning and had to fish it out and immediately I placed it face down on a napkin. I then left it there for roughly 2 hours or so check on them and the volume was extremely low. Then proceeded to wait another hour and they still were low. So I hope they would get better through the day and they didn’t, so then I played a water removal sound for about 4 hours and nothing ever came out. Are there any solutions to this problem with out going to the actual Apple Store?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 7:26 AM

Hey Rodney Lampkin,

If your AirPod(s) have fallen into water, you should dry your Airpods immediately, as you already did. If there is still water in your AirPods and then you charge them, they can be damaged and become very hot. To be sure, it's best to visit an Apple store. You can refer to the articles below:

How to clean your AirPods.

How to clean your AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and EarPods - Apple Support

Please note that this problem falls under water damage, and this is not covered by Apple's 1-year warranty!

Hopefully my answer was helpfully,

Enjoy your day!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 7:26 AM in response to RodneyLampkin

Hey Rodney Lampkin,

If your AirPod(s) have fallen into water, you should dry your Airpods immediately, as you already did. If there is still water in your AirPods and then you charge them, they can be damaged and become very hot. To be sure, it's best to visit an Apple store. You can refer to the articles below:

How to clean your AirPods.

How to clean your AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and EarPods - Apple Support

Please note that this problem falls under water damage, and this is not covered by Apple's 1-year warranty!

Hopefully my answer was helpfully,

Enjoy your day!

Apr 5, 2024 4:59 PM in response to RodneyLampkin

So my mum washed my air pods first generation in the washing machine and only realised till she washed them they were In that pocket and I dried them I can’t still connect to them but can’t hear anything out of both and the case still lets me charge them and turns green when fully charged I just can’t hear anything and when I go connect it still plays out my iPhone when it still says it’s connected

Apr 29, 2024 8:40 AM in response to losimoa

losimoa wrote:

Washing machine airpod.
I found my airpod in the washing machine, i connected it to my case and then a few min later tried to see if it worked, it did but it doesn’t sound like before. Is there any way to fix it? What should i do?

Water damage can't be repaired. And, frequently, it gets worse.

Replace it:

AirPods Replacement, Repair, & Service - Apple Support

May 2, 2024 7:13 AM in response to whicks74

whicks74 wrote:

I dropped an AirPod in the bathtub and it took me about a minute to find it. Plenty of water in it. At first, it did not work. I dried it off with a towel and still no luck. Then I dropped it in some rice and played a high frequency sound through the AirPods for about 5 minutes. Now it works perfectly!

Never put electronics in rice. It doesn't help them dry and bits of it can get into openings.

Apr 9, 2024 9:12 AM in response to Chazza43

Chazza43 wrote:

So my mum washed my air pods first generation in the washing machine and only realised till she washed them they were In that pocket and I dried them I can’t still connect to them but can’t hear anything out of both and the case still lets me charge them and turns green when fully charged I just can’t hear anything and when I go connect it still plays out my iPhone when it still says it’s connected

Time to get new ones.

Can I fix my water damaged AirPods?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.