Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Calendar alert sound cannot be changed on my iPhone 13

No matter what I do the annoying calendar alert sound will not change on my iPhone13 mini. The software is up to date (iOS16.6) I've tried shutting the phone off and restarting so many times I've lost count but nothing I try works. This is been going on since I purchased the phone over 2 years ago. When is Apple going to fix this issue?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 2:37 PM

I’d like to echo this complaint. Yes, we’ve gone through all the alert/notification settings and no, it doesn’t resolve the problem.

And yes, we’ve powered on/off, deleted/recreated alerts, even done a full system reset. Nothing works and it’s been this way for years!

I just dropped $1k for a new 15 Pro and between that and iOS 17, I thought SURELY they would have given in and fixed this, but I overestimated Apple’s competence w/regard to this persistent, annoying bug.

C’mon guys- enough already!!!!!

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 2:37 PM in response to Louiex2

I’d like to echo this complaint. Yes, we’ve gone through all the alert/notification settings and no, it doesn’t resolve the problem.

And yes, we’ve powered on/off, deleted/recreated alerts, even done a full system reset. Nothing works and it’s been this way for years!

I just dropped $1k for a new 15 Pro and between that and iOS 17, I thought SURELY they would have given in and fixed this, but I overestimated Apple’s competence w/regard to this persistent, annoying bug.

C’mon guys- enough already!!!!!

Aug 3, 2023 5:26 PM in response to bruno75

1- I go to Sounds & Haptics, Select Calendar Alerts then chose sound from the Alert Tones menu. I then hit back to return to the main menu. It does not matter which tone I select, and I have tried almost all of them, the Calendar alert tone does not change and remains "Trill." I'm not sure why the phone selected "Trill" as trill is a ringtone and not an alert tone.

2- It has been an issue since I purchased the phone in October 2021.

3- Yes, the Calendar alert is the only tone that will not change.

Nov 9, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Louiex2

I have the exact same problem. It is frustrating to have Apple through at us the junior customer answer ... we know how to find settings in Apple help page, we have done it several times. We do not need to be told again and again, what we need is apple to solve the problem or pinpoint to how we can solve the problem on our side, short of having to buy an android.

Jan 22, 2024 9:06 PM in response to bruno75

What exactly occurs when you try changing the tone for Calendar? NOTHING HAPPENS! THE NOTIFICATION TONE DOES NOT CHANGE NO MATTER WHAT TONE I SELECT.

When did this start to occur, or have you never been able to change the notification tone for Calendar in your iPhone? IT STARTED THE DAY I BOUGHT THE I-PHONE AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CHANGE THE NOTIFICATION TONE!

Have you been able to successfully change any other app notification tones in your iPhone since this issue first began? YES, I CAN CHANGE EVER OTHER NOTIFICATION TONE EXECPT THE ONE FOR THE CALENDAR.

Nov 9, 2023 10:27 AM in response to loscrfromVA

So.... I got a new iPhone 15 Pro last month and was hopeful that would eliminate the problem with the "stuck" alert tone but it was still there. I called Apple once more and after the junior rep went through the obvious stuff, he escalated to a higher-up who didn't acknowledge the known bug but he did advise me to do a system reset. I was hesitant, but desperate to fix the annoying problem. IT WORKED!!! Problem solved. The rep thinks the bug migrated over when I restored the backup from my old phone to my new one. The reset didn't delete my data but it did wipe out all my settings and remembered passwords which has been a major pain. Still, it was worth getting the problem fixed. Hope that helps.

Dec 18, 2023 10:31 AM in response to Louiex2

partly solved

I have the same problem. I was expecting 17.2 to fix but it didn't. the problem is that selecting different sounds in settings sounds and haptucs for calendar will provide eratic behaviours.

• selecting a custom sound that I bought, will not make the phone make any noise on calendar popup notification
  • selecting some of the standard sounds will make a sound but not the one selected !!!
  • selecting the sound "tri-tone" that works and with the right "tri-tone" sound

I was looking for another stronger sounds to reminder me about meetings, but custom sounds DO NOT WORK...for now only the tri-tone works, while setting most other sounds will make the phone silent on calendar screen popup alerts.

for a 1200$ iPhone 15 pro max.. this is not serious Apple.

Aug 3, 2023 2:17 PM in response to Louiex2

Hey there Louiex2,

The question you asked regarding when Apple will fix an issue is one that cannot be answered. Moving forward with troubleshooting, we'd like to help by learning more about what's happening, along with ruling out some other possible causes:

1. What exactly occurs when you try changing the tone for Calendar? The more details you provide, the better we'll understand what's happening when you try.
  2. When did this start to occur, or have you never been able to change the notification tone for Calendar in your iPhone?
  3. Have you been able to successfully change any other app notification tones in your iPhone since this issue first began?

Cheers!

Jan 22, 2024 9:18 PM in response to WinsC1

I did contact Apple Support- said they'd get back to me. It's coming up on six months- all I've heard from Apple Support is crickets and the problem is still not solved for me or any other iPhone user. You'd think the biggest company in the world could spend part of its $394 billion on hiring a couple of computer software geeks to fix this issue as, clearly, no one at Apple is capable of doing it. Maybe Apple Support should call Han, Jong Hee or Kyung, Kye Hyun over at Samsung- they might have someone who could help you. I'm guessing their folks could solve it in under 10 minutes.

Feb 16, 2024 9:42 AM in response to Louiex2

Apple still can't figure out! I spoke to a Senior Apple tech at Apple support. Tried to troubleshoot my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I've tried for years to change the calendar alerts for appointments. I screen-shared and we tried different alerts and still did not work. I updated phone to latest software, rebooted and tried every other option I could. Such a simple thing and shocked that Apple still has this issue. All I want is a different tone to alert me for appointments!

It defaults to the same calendar alert sound. It never changes. Very frustrating!!! Apple it's time to fix this issue ASAP!

Feb 17, 2024 9:13 AM in response to grandisg

there is only a slider for sounds yes or no for Google Calendar on iPhone. This is by design. They don't want you to use another app so they create situations like this to dissuade you from using it. kind of like being a bully on a playground. this will only change if people complain... same reason why they don't support RCS directly with iMessage and want to create a separate ecosystem, expressly for it rather than just try to be compliant with other technologies. and why only the pretty blue messages are iMessage, and the ugly ones are green and harder to read. Be vocal, demand change. Today's empires, tomorrow's ashes.

Mar 6, 2024 8:39 AM in response to Louiex2

I've have this same problem with my iPhone 13 mini and had the same issue with my previous iPhone 8. This has been going on for at least 5 years for me. Mine is stuck on the "bloom" tone, which is quite annoying to say the least. I've called and talked to apple techs with no resolution offered other than the usual standard resets/updates and nothing works. Even if I select "none" as a one selection the "bloom" tone remains. The only thing that works is the hard silence switch on the side of the phone, which certainly isn't an acceptable solution.

Calendar alert sound cannot be changed on my iPhone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.