Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos not syncing with iphone and imac after installing Ventura

I just installed Ventura 13.5 several days ago and now my photos are not syncing at all from my iphone to my imac, it's been hung up on 'syncing 10 items to icloud' the last several days, this just started after installing Ventura. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 7:32 AM

Hello Soonergrl1988,

On macOS:

1. Open System Settings
  2. Click Your Name (Apple ID)
  3. Click iCloud
  4. Click Photos
  5. Toggle on Sync this Mac

On iOS:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Your Name (Apple ID)
  3. Tap iCloud
  4. Tap Photos
  5. Toggle on Sync this iPhone

Could you verify these settings are on and both devices are signed into the same Apple ID?

12 replies

Aug 2, 2023 8:02 AM in response to dobertanec

It's not macOS Ventura. I'm currently and have been using Ventura since it first arrived and have had no issues with iCloud Photos syncing.

This is the official documentation if you want to see if you're missing anything else - Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support.

You could try charging both devices and turning them off for a bit and seeing if this helps!

Aug 20, 2023 8:59 AM in response to pjswiz

Hello.

I've tried these steps many times on both iPhone 12 Pro and iMac 2020, Ventura 13.5. Wifi is connected and sending a strong signal, photo library is on external drive with plenty of room . I've also tried restarting both devices. But....My iMac photos continues to be stuck on "Syncing 8 Items to iCloud" for a week. I also tried pausing and resuming upload of same 8 items.  I believe this all worked OK before Ventura 13.5 upgrade.

Any new info appreciated!

Cg

Aug 21, 2023 9:22 AM in response to dobertanec

I am having the same problem after installing macOS 13.5 Ventura on my MacBook Air. Photos stopped syncing with iCloud Photos, even in a new user account, with a brand new Photos Library for testing, after making a clean install of the system. My iPad and my iPhone are syncing with iCloud Photos, no problem, my other Macs with Mojave are also still syncing,. I can see all photos on my iCloud web page at www. iCloud.com. The problem occurred first after the update to macOS 13.5, no problem with the earlier versions of Ventura.

Perhaps it is related to the Shared iCloud Photos Library. It is the Mac where I created the Shared iCloud Photos Library.

Can you tell us, which system version you upgraded from? Did you update from an earlier version of Ventura or an older system version, from before Ventura?

Aug 21, 2023 10:17 AM in response to léonie

léonie, as a check I just imported a few photos from an external camera to the MacBook Pro on which I created my Shared iCloud Photos Library, which is currently on Ventura 13.5.1 (22G90). They synced immediately to my other devices as part of my Personal Library. I moved some of them to the shared library, and that status also synced to other devices quickly.

Just another data point.

Aug 21, 2023 10:29 AM in response to markwmsn

Thank you, Mark. I am puzzled, why just my two Macs with a clean install to macOS 13.5 are having this problem, but my oldest Mac, that has been incrementally updated to macOS 13.5 from an earlier version of Ventura.

The empty library keeps showing the message "Syncing with iCloud", and does not even show the toolbar with the "Library" items. When I import an image, it is hanging at "uploading one item".

iCloud Drive does not sync anything either. It cannot download any fies from iCloud.

it looks like the full installer to macOS 13.5 might be missing some important code, installed by the previous versions.

Photos not syncing with iphone and imac after installing Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.