Can't add gmail to mail on my MacBook Pro 10.11.6

Looking for advice as to how I can add a gmail back to the mail client having removed it due to persistent error code

400: invalid_request

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 8:22 AM

Why not? What happens when you try to add the email account? Do you get an error? If so, what does it say?

It should be added the same way it was added the first time. By going into the Mail menu ➜ Add account and selecting Google from the preset providers, and then following the onscreen prompts.

You may need to generate an App specific password from your Gmail account website for the mail app now.

click here ➜ https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945?hl=en#zippy=%2Cset-up-gmail-with-mail-on-a-mac

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Snoozer62

Why not? What happens when you try to add the email account? Do you get an error? If so, what does it say?

It should be added the same way it was added the first time. By going into the Mail menu ➜ Add account and selecting Google from the preset providers, and then following the onscreen prompts.

You may need to generate an App specific password from your Gmail account website for the mail app now.

click here ➜ https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945?hl=en#zippy=%2Cset-up-gmail-with-mail-on-a-mac

Sep 11, 2023 4:06 PM in response to PhotoGirly

PhotoGirly wrote:

• I'm having the same issue. I changed my gmail password on my iMac and now I am unable to sign in at all on my Mac Book Pro. It does not let me put in a password.
The MBP message is:

Authorization Error
Error 400: invalid_request
You can't sign in to this app because it doesn't comply with Google's OAuth 2.0 policy for keeping apps secure.
You can let the app developer know that this app doesn't comply with one or more Google validation rules.
If you’re the app developer, make sure that these request details comply with Google policies.
redirect_uri: urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob

Gmail is working on my iPhone.

What macOS version is your Mac running? Google no longer supports older macOS versions and will issue that error unless you configure your Gmail account to support less secure apps.

click here ➜ Enabling Less Secure App Access on Gmail Accounts - Apple Community

Sep 11, 2023 3:55 PM in response to Phil0124

I'm having the same issue. I changed my gmail password on my iMac and now I am unable to sign in at all on my Mac Book Pro. It does not let me put in a password.

The MBP message is:

Authorization Error

Error 400: invalid_request

You can't sign in to this app because it doesn't comply with Google's OAuth 2.0 policy for keeping apps secure.

You can let the app developer know that this app doesn't comply with one or more Google validation rules.

If you’re the app developer, make sure that these request details comply with Google policies.

• redirect_uri: urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob

Gmail is working on my iPhone.

Can't add gmail to mail on my MacBook Pro 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.