Can only browse Time machine backups when selecting "other backup disks" and cannot delete backups

Since updating to Ventura, I am unable to browse Time Machine backups normally. I can see the time line on the right going back to 2019 when I started the backup, but nothing happens when I choose a date on the timeline. Similarly nothing happens when I click on the arrows next to the finder window in Time Machine (and all the stacked windows are greyed out)

HOWEVER:

(1) if I hold the alt key and choose the (same) Time Machine backup disk then I can navigate back all the way though the backups right to 2019.

But there is another problem:

(2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore.

I have tried this on many many backups going way back so I know these aren't just snapshots.

The drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Can anyone please help ideally with both issues, though (2) is a lot more important than (1) which just seems to be an annoying workaround having to select the drive every time I want to browse backups.

Thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 7:04 AM

" (2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore. "

That is correct, Only Restore is available.

TM Backup may have offered the Delete Option in some older versions of macOS - but is no longer possible.

Attempting to Prune a TM Backup Drive >>

Deleting TimeMachine backups from an exte… - Apple Community

How to delete old time machine backups? - Apple Community

delete time machine backups - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 7:04 AM in response to petefromsouthampton

" (2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore. "

TM Backup may have offered the Delete Option in some older versions of macOS - but is no longer possible.

Attempting to Prune a TM Backup Drive >>

Deleting TimeMachine backups from an exte… - Apple Community

How to delete old time machine backups? - Apple Community

Aug 3, 2023 4:35 AM in response to petefromsouthampton

petefromsouthampton wrote:

P. Phillips wrote:

Crazy, why would they remove a useful feature?

That question would be better service by asking Apple

Short answer was contained in one of the four previously supposed links

Any idea why I should need to re choose the disk by holding alt key every time I want to browse older files?

Thanks

Can only browse Time machine backups when selecting "other backup disks" and cannot delete backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.