Podcast app: How to search within a specific show

I would like to search for episodes within a particular podcast show, not across the whole universe of shows. Is this possible in Apple Podcasts or any other podcast app? If not, why not?

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 3:11 AM

This seems a very basic function you would expect any simple Podcast app to have, but I have been searching for ages to find a way to do it. Perhaps Apple could tell us...

15 replies

Mar 26, 2024 6:15 AM in response to apschneider9277

apschneider9277 wrote:

Apple needs to add a function to search within a show for an episode, especially with the types of podcasts I listen to that have lots of nerd-type information. Stitcher was by far the best podcasting app out there because it had this feature.

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, there are lots of other podcast apps out there. Perhaps one of them has the features you prefer.

Mar 7, 2024 11:17 PM in response to OldMountainDreamer

Is there any work around that can allow me to search a title that ideally is unique.

I have a title that starts out with #369 -What To Do In.." , I can't even get a match that way, and I get maybe a dozen podcast Graphics pop up but none of them match the Podcast name I'm looking for.

I would think that's a fairly unique title. At least on a PC the Podcast allows me to just filter by the Podcast name and year, then I can get to the episode but I want a solution for the iphone. As others noted, hard to believe this use model was not comprehended to support "filters" but podcast name, date, episode, and any combination of those. Would be nice to see apple acknowledge the issue and have a proposed date.

Spotify at least gets me there with a string match in the search, but it does not include the Episode number as shown in the title. If I'm filtered into a Specific Podcast, using search from there does not contain it to that specific Podcast, but at lease I can find the podcast if I enter enough of the title to make it unique - why that fails in the Apple Podcast app I'm baffled.

Mar 26, 2024 12:37 AM in response to pt255

Exactly! This is the major feature that Stitcher had which made it the best podcasting app out there. Pandora’s decision to shut Stitcher down was one of the most completely blockheaded moves possible. Apple needs to enable searching by episodes if they want us to not be resentful. Do better Apple. It is extremely cumbersome to search within a show; we have to scroll through a show’s entire content to find a specific episode, especially one located in the middle of their output somewhere.

Mar 30, 2024 7:36 AM in response to K38

It's the worst when the podcast you listen to has been around since 2007, then you're talking hundreds and hundreds of episodes! It's the main reason I went back to Pocket Casts. If/When they ever fix this (as well as hiding played episodes especially in Apple CarPlay) I will gladly come back!

Podcast app: How to search within a specific show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.