I don't receive push notifications from Mail

I usually receive push notifications from all apps without issue. The one exception to this is Apple's Mail app and - strangely - only one email address. Push notifications, as well as notification badges, don't appear until I open the app, which defeats their purpose. I might've already found the reason for the problem but it creates more questions than it answers.

I use the Mail app for two email addresses: iCloud and my business email. On my iCloud address, push notifications and badges work just fine. On my business email the issues are as described above.

Now when I go to Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data, I can see that the schedule is set to Push on my iCloud address. However, on my affected address it's set to Fetch. I wanted to change this one to Push as well but the option wasn't even available. I can only choose between Fetch and Manual. Is there a way I can fix this? Did I maybe make a mistake when adding the email address to the Mail app?

This is a painful issue because this email address is super important for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone trying to help.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 4:56 AM

Not all Mail services support push-email. As described, the mail with which you have difficulty is presumably an IMAP or POP3 mailbox; these mail protocols don’t support push-email - and it is for this reason that you see fetch as the available option.

When configured for “fetch”, you should be able to choose from various options:

• Automatically - your device will automatically fetch email from the server when connected to power
  • Manually - your device will only fetch email from the server when you refresh the mailbox on the device
  • Hourly, Every 30 minutes, Every 15 minutes - email will be automatically retrieved to the selected time schedule*

*For Mail services that don’t support push-email, choosing a timed option may be best alternative.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 4:56 AM in response to McGerry

Not all Mail services support push-email. As described, the mail with which you have difficulty is presumably an IMAP or POP3 mailbox; these mail protocols don’t support push-email - and it is for this reason that you see fetch as the available option.

When configured for “fetch”, you should be able to choose from various options:

• Automatically - your device will automatically fetch email from the server when connected to power
  • Manually - your device will only fetch email from the server when you refresh the mailbox on the device
  • Hourly, Every 30 minutes, Every 15 minutes - email will be automatically retrieved to the selected time schedule*

*For Mail services that don’t support push-email, choosing a timed option may be best alternative.

I don't receive push notifications from Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.