Slow external SSD

Bought a Crucial 1TB SSD along with a caddy to use as a back up drive for my files on my iMac. First few Gigabytes was really fast in transferring but then it started to get slower and slower to the point where the speed was like a traditional HDD. I know about enabling TRIM support from my older mac a few years ago. Could my problem with the slow SSD be related to no TRIM support?

iMac 27″

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:45 PM

Unfortunately, the BX500 is known to have poor sustained performance. For better sustained speeds, I'd recommend another SSD.

For an external USB drive, the LaCie 1TB Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive - Gray - Apple would work well. Or, for a SATA drive, the higher-spec Crucial MX500 would be a good choice. It seems to currently have a similar price to the BX-series drives.

Hope this helps!

- Jack

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 6:45 PM in response to Richee1

Unfortunately, the BX500 is known to have poor sustained performance. For better sustained speeds, I'd recommend another SSD.

For an external USB drive, the LaCie 1TB Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive - Gray - Apple would work well. Or, for a SATA drive, the higher-spec Crucial MX500 would be a good choice. It seems to currently have a similar price to the BX-series drives.

Hope this helps!

- Jack

Slow external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.