How do you report and lock a stolen device if it’s been reset to factory settings?

How do you report and lock a stolen device if it’s been reset to factory settings?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 7:10 PM

BalloFruit wrote:

you call the police.

If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item

9 replies

Aug 2, 2023 7:12 PM in response to BalloFruit

BalloFruit Said:

"How do you report and lock a stolen device if it’s been reset to factory settings?"

-------

Locking a Factory Reset Device:

You Can't. If it has been factory reset, then there is no option to locking it.

You Need to Secure your Accounts:

Someone likely knows you credentials, if they are able to log into it. So, secure you accounts...

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all device are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

C. Contact Apple Support:

Being that you think your account has been hacked, perform the above, and contact Apple Support, ASAP. They'll run you through the fix.

Apple Contact Us Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Aug 2, 2023 7:12 PM in response to BalloFruit

BalloFruit Said:

"How do you report and lock a stolen device if it’s been reset to factory settings?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Solen iPhone:

Alternatively to using Find My, you'l have to do so the old fashioned way. Find My can only be enabled directly on the iPhone. It cannot be enabled elsewhere. So, is it enabled on the iPhone?

So, what to Try:

• Dial it: See if it is heard ringing

• Ask Local Authorities: See if it has be hanged over.

• Text It: Ask whomever has come across it, to contact you.

• Ask Someone: See if someone you know (i.e. Friend, or Family Member) if that came across it.

• Backtrack your Locations: If you are at a coffee shop, or a library, stop by and see if it was safely placed aside.

Aug 2, 2023 8:10 PM in response to BalloFruit

BalloFruit wrote:

Well, that's not helpful. That's just plan troll.

There is NO reporting it here or at Apple.com, they are not in the business of inventorying, registering, tracking, reporting, following up, or getting back to you on a stolen Mac, yours or anybody else.

Sorry—You report it to the Police if you want to report it BalloFruit.

You have to read the links provided, they are for your edification:

If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item

Aug 2, 2023 9:22 PM in response to BalloFruit

Hi BalloFruit,

As others mentioned, unfortunately you can't remotely lock a stolen device through Find My once it's erased.

That said, since your Mac has the M1 chip, it does support Activation Lock. If you had Find My Mac enabled on your Mac, and you haven't yet removed it in Find My, Activation Lock is active on that Mac, and no one can reuse it without your Apple ID and password - even if the Mac is erased. It's effectively a brick until it's returned to you.

In the meanwhile, it's best to report the stolen Mac to local law enforcement along with the serial number, to help increase your odds of getting it back eventually.

Best of luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.