Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

why does my phone not stay connected to my computer?

when i plug my phone into my computer via usb cable, it connects and then drops, and connects and then drops, over and over and over again. will not stay connected.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 8:42 PM

crottsfactor Said:

"when i plug my phone into my computer via usb cable, it connects and then drops, and connects and then drops, over and over and over again. will not stay connected."

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone-to-Computer Cable Connections:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try Another Cable:

Purchase another cable, if you cannot get a continual connection.

C. Clean Out the Port:

Shine some light in the port, and see if there is any debris in it. If so, as long as it is not tightly squeezed in there, you can gently remove it with a wooden toothpick. If it is tightly squeezed in there, however, then see if you can get this serviced.

A. Contacting Apple Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

B. Contacting an AASP:

Also, look into taking it to an AASP(Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 8:42 PM in response to crottsfactor

crottsfactor Said:

"when i plug my phone into my computer via usb cable, it connects and then drops, and connects and then drops, over and over and over again. will not stay connected."

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone-to-Computer Cable Connections:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try Another Cable:

Purchase another cable, if you cannot get a continual connection.

C. Clean Out the Port:

Shine some light in the port, and see if there is any debris in it. If so, as long as it is not tightly squeezed in there, you can gently remove it with a wooden toothpick. If it is tightly squeezed in there, however, then see if you can get this serviced.

A. Contacting Apple Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

B. Contacting an AASP:

Also, look into taking it to an AASP(Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

why does my phone not stay connected to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.