AppleTV (4K) remote +/- volume controls stopped working.

4K Apple TV. The + / - volume controls on the remote used to work, but lately now don't work.

I submitted a repair to Apple and the remote was replaced, but that did not resolve the problem.

Apple TV software is at the latest release. Restarted AppleTV and restarted and re-paired remote. No joy.

I did not see anything in the SmarTV's setup menu that would account for this, nor anything in the AppleTV's menu choices that could address this.

My 1-year warranty expires today, 8/3/23. Wanted to see if this community has any solutions, before I turn in another ticket for the AppleTV itself before EOD today.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 5:26 AM

The restart of just the remote, using the button combination (TV—Volume Down), is the official troubleshooting step for non-functional volume controls.

If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote stop working - Apple Support (same but more specialized)

On the Apple TV box, verify Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥…

If set to Auto, try TV via IR (or Receiver/soundbar via IR, if you have that).

As the remote sends the volume control signals directly to the TV (or audio system), verify that you have a clear unobstructed line of sight from the remote to the IR receptor on the TV (or audio system).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 5:26 AM in response to michaelfromdelano

The restart of just the remote, using the button combination (TV—Volume Down), is the official troubleshooting step for non-functional volume controls.

If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote stop working - Apple Support (same but more specialized)

On the Apple TV box, verify Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥…

If set to Auto, try TV via IR (or Receiver/soundbar via IR, if you have that).

As the remote sends the volume control signals directly to the TV (or audio system), verify that you have a clear unobstructed line of sight from the remote to the IR receptor on the TV (or audio system).

AppleTV (4K) remote +/- volume controls stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.