crackling/popping in audio via lightning jack on iPhone 12 mini

When playing audio through the lightning jack, I get a crackling/popping sound that is usually almost as loud as the audio and very irritating. Starting playback while locked or unlocked makes no difference, and this does not happen with bluetooth devices or the phone speaker. It isn't specific to one accessory, as this happens both in my car and if I attempt to use a 3.5mm to lightning adapter for earbuds. I know both work because I have tested them with my previous phone (SE gen 2), and there are no issues.

I have been trying to diagnose this issue with all the relevant posts I can find here and it's achieved nothing. Here's a list of everything I've tried thus far:

Restarted the phone normally

Forced restart

Tried different cables

Reset all user settings

Firmware updated my car unit

Cleaned out lightning jack

Updated iOS (several times, now running 16.5)

This issue has persisted since I got the phone almost a year ago, and I've been troubleshooting it off and on since then until it finally got irritating enough to do something about it. I bought the phone brand new, and it did this out of the box, so I doubt it's anything I did to it.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 3:49 PM

Hello,

Hmm, the symptoms seem to indicate a problem with the charging port. Try checking for debris again:

(Use a bright light and a toothpick).

Also see:

If your headphones don‘t work with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If no help, your only other option is to have it checked:

Find Locations

Good luck.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 27, 2023 4:33 AM in response to rcjd

In my case, I have a iPhone 13 where I purchased a new lightning cable with the 3.5 jack. I used it once and the iPhone no longer works whereas once plugging the lightning cable into the iPhone port I still receive sound outside of the phone. When I made my new purchase, I received two cables. I tested the new one and it works perfectly fine.

crackling/popping in audio via lightning jack on iPhone 12 mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.