Does iMessage on macOS have a way to shortcut type an emoji? Most apps use the convention of typing a colon+word+colon (such as :apple:).

Many social media or text-based apps use the convention of typing a colon+word+colon (such as :apple:) to shortcut to an emoji so you don't need to go using your mouse or other navigation methods to quickly get emojis in there. Discord, Slack, WhatsApp, etc. all do this. C'mon Apple, get on it. I don't want to be typing, then have to mouse over to click on an emoji icon, to then click in a search box to type in an emoji and then select it... MAKE IT EASIER PLEASE.

Someone tell me there is a simple text-based shortcut for this?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 12:47 PM

You can use Control + Command + Spacebar to open the character viewer.

Use emoji and symbols on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Dec 7, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Tomes

I have this question as well. It is interesting that there are *some* keystrokes that turn into emojis:

• :-)
  • :-D
  • :3 (a heart)
  • ;-)

but there is no list of all emojis with their corresponding keystrokes...

Edit:

Adding what I found online - there are, indeed, some keystrokes, but not all emojis are available:

This list is based off of the old iChat plist and scripting the list of emoticons from Wikipedia into Messages.app:

😊 :)
😉 ;)
😟 :(
😎 B)  
😃 :D  
😩 D:
😋 :d
😜 ;p
😛 :p
😮 :o
😖 :s
😶 :x
😐 :|
😕 :/
😳 :[
😏 :> 
😷 :@  
😘 :*
😬 :!
😇 o:)
😠 >:-o
😈 >:-)
😺 :3  
👍 (y)
👎 (n)
❤️ <3

Note most support using - for a nose so :-) works for 😊 as well.

May 7, 2024 1:36 PM in response to Randall_2023

That is not the same thing. Opening the Emoji/Keyboard viewer is nice, but it's not nearly as fast or seamless as the double-colon shortcut seen on apps like Slack, Notion, etc.

This is fast becoming the norm. It would be lovely to see in macOS as a native feature.

For the record, Microsoft Teams uses an open parentheses for the same effect and it is dramatically less effective.

Does iMessage on macOS have a way to shortcut type an emoji? Most apps use the convention of typing a colon+word+colon (such as :apple:).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.