Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I train "Autocorrect" to not autocorrect some words?

My granddaughter's name is Emme but is always corrected to Eddy.

iPhone 13

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 4:46 PM

Sure, I’m here to help you with the Text Replacement feature! To prevent autocorrect from changing your granddaughter’s name “Emme,” follow these steps:

1. Open “Settings” on your iPhone.

2. Tap on “General,” and then select “Keyboard.”

3. Choose “Text Replacement” from the list.

4. Tap the “+” sign in the top right corner to add a new replacement.

5. In the “Phrase” field, type your granddaughter’s name, “Emme.”

6. In the “Shortcut” field, enter a simple abbreviation, like “emm” or “eg.”

Now, whenever you type the abbreviation you chose (e.g., “emm” or “eg”) in any text field, it will automatically be replaced with your granddaughter’s name, “Emme.” This will help ensure autocorrect won’t change the name incorrectly.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m here to help in the friendliest and most compassionate way possible!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 4:46 PM in response to mb34

Sure, I’m here to help you with the Text Replacement feature! To prevent autocorrect from changing your granddaughter’s name “Emme,” follow these steps:

1. Open “Settings” on your iPhone.

2. Tap on “General,” and then select “Keyboard.”

3. Choose “Text Replacement” from the list.

4. Tap the “+” sign in the top right corner to add a new replacement.

5. In the “Phrase” field, type your granddaughter’s name, “Emme.”

6. In the “Shortcut” field, enter a simple abbreviation, like “emm” or “eg.”

Now, whenever you type the abbreviation you chose (e.g., “emm” or “eg”) in any text field, it will automatically be replaced with your granddaughter’s name, “Emme.” This will help ensure autocorrect won’t change the name incorrectly.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m here to help in the friendliest and most compassionate way possible!

Aug 3, 2023 3:01 PM in response to mb34

Yes, you can train your device's autocorrect to stop autocorrecting certain words, including your granddaughter's name "Emme." Here's how you can do it on an iOS device:

1. **Add "Emme" to your contacts:** Go to your Contacts app and add a new contact with your granddaughter's name as "Emme."

2. **Edit the contact:** Once the contact is created, tap on it to edit the details.

3. **Add the name "Emme" as a nickname:** Scroll down to the "add field" option and select "Nickname." Enter "Emme" as the nickname for the contact.

By adding "Emme" as a nickname for the contact, you are teaching your device's autocorrect system to recognize it as a valid word and stop autocorrecting it to "Eddy."

If you encounter similar issues with other specific words, you can follow the same process and add those words as nicknames to relevant contacts. This way, your device will learn to recognize and remember these custom entries and avoid autocorrecting them in the future.

Keep in mind that this method works for iOS devices, and the process might differ slightly on other platforms or operating systems.

Can I train "Autocorrect" to not autocorrect some words?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.