Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Whats app messages gone :(

I backed up my iphone to the cloud yesterday before moving everything to my new phone but all my whats app messages are gone

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 12:34 AM

With Whatsapp you should have gone into Whatsapp itself and in Settings, Chats, Chat Backup you should have had iCloud Backup turned on or manually backed up. Whatsapp Messages are not backed up to iCloud.

If you uninstall Whatsapp app then reinstall it you will be offered the chance to restore that separate backup.

If you still have the old phone go through the backup process inside Whatsapp and try that uninjstal reinstall on the new iphone. If you no longer have the old phone or you wiped it then your messages will be lost. Tie to start again with a lot more spare space!

This is an Apple forum. Best advice for problems with apps not written by Apple is to contact the developer  

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 12:34 AM in response to LisseyH

With Whatsapp you should have gone into Whatsapp itself and in Settings, Chats, Chat Backup you should have had iCloud Backup turned on or manually backed up. Whatsapp Messages are not backed up to iCloud.

If you uninstall Whatsapp app then reinstall it you will be offered the chance to restore that separate backup.

If you still have the old phone go through the backup process inside Whatsapp and try that uninjstal reinstall on the new iphone. If you no longer have the old phone or you wiped it then your messages will be lost. Tie to start again with a lot more spare space!

This is an Apple forum. Best advice for problems with apps not written by Apple is to contact the developer  

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support 

Whats app messages gone :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.