Unsupported Library: The library “Photos LibraryX” is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.

I'm getting this error when trying to open a Photos library from an external hard drive:

Unsupported Library: The library “Photos LibraryX” is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.

I have my photos on an external drive partly because my library is huge and partly because I have two computers I need to use it on. Both machines are up to date and on the same operating systems so I don't understand what's going on. I have no option to update Photos, nor can I delete and reinstall anymore.

I will say that I've had a lot of problems keeping my Photos library on an external. It definitely doesn't run as smoothly as Apple says it should. iCloud isn't really an option because of the size of the library and because I still occasionally have to use the library when there's no internet access (rare nowadays, I know).

All help appreciated!

Alice

Mac mini

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 5:39 AM

The only way to update Photos is by installing a newer system version, because Photos is installed as a part of the system software.

You may be seeing the error message for two possible reasons:

1. if you are using two macs with a different system version - please compare the system versions on your two Macs. Even if both macs are up to date the system version may differ in the build number, if the hardware is different and your two macs are different models, or if a system update could not be completed for whatever reasons. You can see the build number of the system version in the System Settings > General > macOS section.
  2. Sometimes we might accidentally launch an older version of Photos, if there is an older version on a connected backup drive and an alias on your Desktop or an icon in the Dock are still linked to this older version. To be sure, that you are launching the current version of Photos, installed with the current system, drag Photos from Applications to the Dock and and only then launch ot from the Dock. Or launch it directly from Applications.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 5:39 AM in response to SiskinSAB

The only way to update Photos is by installing a newer system version, because Photos is installed as a part of the system software.

You may be seeing the error message for two possible reasons:

1. if you are using two macs with a different system version - please compare the system versions on your two Macs. Even if both macs are up to date the system version may differ in the build number, if the hardware is different and your two macs are different models, or if a system update could not be completed for whatever reasons. You can see the build number of the system version in the System Settings > General > macOS section.
  2. Sometimes we might accidentally launch an older version of Photos, if there is an older version on a connected backup drive and an alias on your Desktop or an icon in the Dock are still linked to this older version. To be sure, that you are launching the current version of Photos, installed with the current system, drag Photos from Applications to the Dock and and only then launch ot from the Dock. Or launch it directly from Applications.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.