Left Option key acting as a shortcut for "Show Desktop"

Hello,

In my MacBook Pro, the left option key is behaving as a shortcut for "Show Desktop". This is despite changing the keyboard shortcuts under "System Preferences". This is quite annoying as I am unable to use many of the developer keyboard shortcuts which relies on the left option key as a modifier key. I am using MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 1:44 AM

Figured out the solution. The issue was that there were two set of settings under "System Preferences". One is under the section - Keyboard and other is under Desktop & Dock

1. System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Mission Control > Show Desktop
  2. System Settings > Desktop & Dock > shortcuts(Mission Control) > Show Desktop

The keyboard shortcut for "Show Desktop" under both sections need to be updated with the preferred keyboard shortcut.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 1:44 AM in response to bheeman

Figured out the solution. The issue was that there were two set of settings under "System Preferences". One is under the section - Keyboard and other is under Desktop & Dock

1. System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Mission Control > Show Desktop
  2. System Settings > Desktop & Dock > shortcuts(Mission Control) > Show Desktop

The keyboard shortcut for "Show Desktop" under both sections need to be updated with the preferred keyboard shortcut.

Left Option key acting as a shortcut for "Show Desktop"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.