You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsecure network error on Mac

I reset my network on the advice of a hotel technician as their Wi-Fi kept kicking me off after a few minutes. Now I can’t log into the Internet from my hotel as it is an unsecured network. Next steps?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 11:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 11:46 AM

An iPad will allow connecting to an insecure network. It’ll produce a diagnostic about it, but will allow it.

Here are the Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

(These settings don’t apply to you and your iPad, but rather to the folks running the hotel network.)

What is probably happening is a network configuration error in the particular Wi-Fi and its portal.

Here is how to: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Less likely, but possible, the (presumably) captive hotel network might be having an issue with the media access control (confusingly abbreviated as MAC) address:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2023 11:46 AM in response to KathleenieG

An iPad will allow connecting to an insecure network. It’ll produce a diagnostic about it, but will allow it.

Here are the Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

(These settings don’t apply to you and your iPad, but rather to the folks running the hotel network.)

What is probably happening is a network configuration error in the particular Wi-Fi and its portal.

Here is how to: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Less likely, but possible, the (presumably) captive hotel network might be having an issue with the media access control (confusingly abbreviated as MAC) address:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Aug 14, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Rosemary1928

Rosemary1928 wrote:

C cCan you help me with my WFI it same like I can’t send pics some will can’t be sent

that can cover a lot of possible causes. Some questions, to try to narrow the scope and scale…

Does your iPhone or iPad work when connected to cellular, or to a different Wi-Fi?

Do other devices work on this Wi-Fi?

Is this your Wi-Fi? If so, have you tried restarting the Wi-Fi router?

Are you sending pictures cia Apple Messages app, via email, or using some other means?

Are you having trouble sending one (small-ish) picture to one recipient, or a small-ish picture fails to all?

And… Are you asking here because of a “weak security” message? (That is a notification only, and is unrelated to the operation of the Wi-Fi.)

Unsecure network error on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.