My MacBook Air OS is Big Sur, my old iMac OS is Mojave. Has anyone been able to find a way to connect an iMac running Mojave as a monitor for a MacBook running Big Sur?

I connected the Thunderbolt cable and pressed command 2 but will not flip my Macbook screen to the iMac. I've read the my Macbook needs to be running an earlier version than Big Sur. Has anyone found a way to do this running Big Sur?

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 3:41 PM

You haven't told us which iMac and which MacBook Air you are using.

Even if the iMac is one that supports Thunderbolt Target Display Mode, you're out of luck. Apple restricted Target Display Mode after the fact. Your iMac is running an OS later than High Sierra, your MacBook Air is running an OS later than Catalina, and you might be using a MacBook Air introduced in 2020 or later.

There might be other possibilities such as AirPlay or third-party "workaround" products, but as far as a hardware monitor goes, if you want one of those, you'll have to get a standalone hardware monitor.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 3:41 PM in response to knothughes

You haven't told us which iMac and which MacBook Air you are using.

Even if the iMac is one that supports Thunderbolt Target Display Mode, you're out of luck. Apple restricted Target Display Mode after the fact. Your iMac is running an OS later than High Sierra, your MacBook Air is running an OS later than Catalina, and you might be using a MacBook Air introduced in 2020 or later.

There might be other possibilities such as AirPlay or third-party "workaround" products, but as far as a hardware monitor goes, if you want one of those, you'll have to get a standalone hardware monitor.

My MacBook Air OS is Big Sur, my old iMac OS is Mojave. Has anyone been able to find a way to connect an iMac running Mojave as a monitor for a MacBook running Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.