Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iCloud

Anyone ever get a solution for this? It’s confusing as I woke up to this message — my phone had restarted overnight automatically. I already had iCloud activated so what does this mean? In my sleepy state I hit OK so hoping I don’t get charged.

im using iPhone SE 2020, iOS 16.6. iMessage and FaceTime using my number and one email at the time of pop up.

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 2:26 AM

Thank you :) I think I was just concerned as to why the system pop up happened at all, as I’ve been using iCloud for years on this phone & with this sim so was questioning why the system would let me know this. Possibly because my iPhone had restarted?

But I guess as long as I don’t get any texts from Apple about iCloud verification, my provider shouldn’t charge me.

I’ll note that my provider is listed as a recognised one by Apple so ideally I wouldn’t get charged anyway.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 2:26 AM in response to HtetNaing1699

Thank you :) I think I was just concerned as to why the system pop up happened at all, as I’ve been using iCloud for years on this phone & with this sim so was questioning why the system would let me know this. Possibly because my iPhone had restarted?

But I guess as long as I don’t get any texts from Apple about iCloud verification, my provider shouldn’t charge me.

I’ll note that my provider is listed as a recognised one by Apple so ideally I wouldn’t get charged anyway.

Aug 6, 2023 1:58 AM in response to Storkstork

Yes, you are correct. Some carriers may charge for SMS messages used to activate iCloud services or verify your Apple ID. When you set up or sign in to your Apple ID on a new device, Apple may send a verification code to your registered phone number via SMS. This verification code is used to confirm your identity and ensure the security of your account.

While Apple itself does not charge for these SMS messages, your carrier may apply standard text messaging rates or fees for receiving the verification code. It's important to be aware of any potential charges from your carrier, especially if you are in a region or on a plan where SMS messages incur costs.

If you're concerned about potential charges for iCloud activation or verification codes, you might consider using a Wi-Fi connection to complete the setup process, if possible, as this would not incur additional carrier charges for data usage.

Keep in mind that carrier policies and rates may vary, so it's a good idea to check with your specific carrier for information about SMS charges and any other related fees.

Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.