Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Software update for connecting iphone to Mac

When I try to connect my iphone XR to my Mac I get a notice saying a software update is required. When I click on "Install" I get a popup that says "Installing." The progress bar is already filled in and it just sits there. I've left it up for over thirty minutes and nothing seems to happen. Any solutions? Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 10

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 10:55 AM

Try rebooting the computer and trying again. If it still fails, then try booting into Safe Mode to see if the update will install....if Safe Mode works, then it indicates you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

If you still have issues, the please tell us the exact model Mac and version of macOS being used. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Also,please tell us the exact version of iOS used on your iPhone XR.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 10:55 AM in response to neilson112

Try rebooting the computer and trying again. If it still fails, then try booting into Safe Mode to see if the update will install....if Safe Mode works, then it indicates you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

If you still have issues, the please tell us the exact model Mac and version of macOS being used. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Also,please tell us the exact version of iOS used on your iPhone XR.

Software update for connecting iphone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.