Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Serial number/firmware update. Wife's new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) both pods, charger, box all have same serial number

My (wife's) new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) the both pods, the charger, and the box all have same serial number .When I paired them with her iPhone and have no problem. iPhone also shows same serial number as box, pods & case. When I check Apple's warranty page they show warranty good until January 2024 not that I would use it. They paired perfectly normal with the iPhone. They sound great, as good or better than the ones she washed. These replaced another pair of GEN 2 she washed and dried and killed. :)

I bought these off eBay dirt dirt cheap and "factory" sealed. They came with the little booklet, charge cable and usual stuff. The box looked identical to her old dead set. I was WELL AWARE I was taking a chance and eBay would back me up.

I tried looking at the serial numbers on her other set but couldn't read both of them to tell if BOTH were the same but the one I could read is different than the case.

ALL SEEMS great except they won't update firmware which is making me wonder if they are fakes. Other than the cheap price was any of the above info a clue? If they are fakes they are amazingly accurate.

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 4:36 PM

MisterEdF Said:

"Serial number/firmware update. Wife's new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) both pods, charger, box all have same serial number: [...]I bought these off eBay dirt dirt cheap and "factory" sealed. [...]ALL SEEMS great except they won't update firmware which is making me wonder if they are fakes. Other than the cheap price was any of the above info a clue? If they are fakes they are amazingly accurate."

-------

Confirm these are Genuine AirPods:

1. Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - Apple Support
  2. Enter the Serial Number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  3. View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and you should go through eBay, asking that the seller be held accountable and that you get your money back.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 4:36 PM in response to MisterEdF

MisterEdF Said:

"Serial number/firmware update. Wife's new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) both pods, charger, box all have same serial number: [...]I bought these off eBay dirt dirt cheap and "factory" sealed. [...]ALL SEEMS great except they won't update firmware which is making me wonder if they are fakes. Other than the cheap price was any of the above info a clue? If they are fakes they are amazingly accurate."

-------

1. Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - Apple Support
  2. Enter the Serial Number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  3. View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and you should go through eBay, asking that the seller be held accountable and that you get your money back.

Aug 6, 2023 6:06 PM in response to TheLittles

MisterEdF Said:

When I check Apple's warranty page they show warranty good until January 2024 not that I would use it. SEEMS great except they won't update firmware which is making me wonder if they are fakes. Other than the cheap price was any of the above info a clue? If they are fakes they are amazingly accurate."

You said:
Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - 1. Apple Support
Enter the Serial Number here: 1. Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and you should go through eBay1. , asking that the seller be held accountable and that you get your money back.

Thanks, as I mentioned in my OP I did check them but as my great great great great grandma used to say: "If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish and SMELLS like a fish it's usually fishy. $35 for a brand new sealed AIrPods Gen 2 smells funny. I wouldn't put it past them to be able to clone the chip with the serial number.

All that being said, I did buy a set of brand new sealed AirPods **PRO GEN 2** for myself off Mercari for $80 6 months ago and they were indeed legit (sealed brand new) as I was able to get Applecare+ and they were replaced once under warranty by Apple.

Aug 6, 2023 6:14 PM in response to MisterEdF

MisterEdF Said:

"Serial number/firmware update. Wife's new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) both pods, charger, box all have same serial number: [...]I did buy a set of brand new sealed AirPods **PRO GEN 2** for myself off Mercari for $80 6 months ago and they were indeed legit (sealed brand new) as I was able to get Applecare+ and they were replaced once under warranty by Apple."

-------

Return the eBay-Bought AirPods:

If it is too good to be true, then it is too good to be true. So, if these didn't show up, then they are fake. So, I recommend you go through eBay, asking that the seller be held accountable and that you get your money back.

Aug 6, 2023 7:03 PM in response to MisterEdF

MisterEdF Said:

"@TheLittles Methinks you need to actually READ the messages you reply to! As I said twice (regarding the Airpods Gen 2): When I check Apple's warranty page they show warranty good until January 2024"

-------

Which Pair is Fake?

I was referring to the second pair you mentioned. So, if neither is fake, then you're all set from here, and you are reporting something, not posting something.

Serial number/firmware update. Wife's new GEN 2 Airpods (not pros) both pods, charger, box all have same serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.