Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share to Email in Flipboard Does Not open Email, Crashes Flipboard

I have an iPhone 8. Just updated to iOS 16.6.

Previously, in Flipboard app, I could tap the share icon, select the email icon, and my email app would open so I could send a link to the article in an email.

Now, in Flipboard app, when I tape the share icon, and select the email icon, not only does my email app NOT open, but also Flipboard immediately closes and must be re-launched.

Nothing has changed except that overnight iOS updated.

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 2:01 AM

Flipboard: The Social Magazine is not an Apple product. Contact the app developer here --> App Support or Contact Us — Flipboard Help Center

7 replies

Aug 7, 2023 2:03 AM in response to LemuelAbsolom

Updating iOS on your iPhone should typically not alter the fundamental functionality of the device. In general, iOS updates are designed to enhance the user experience, improve security, and fix bugs, rather than introducing major disruptions to core features. The reported issue of the screen flickering and displaying a white screen after an update is likely caused by factors that are not explicitly mentioned in your post.

iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

If the issues you mentioned are indeed caused by iOS, it's likely that numerous users who have upgraded to iOS 16.6 are experiencing similar problems. However, in order for the community on this forum to provide helpful responses, it would be beneficial for you to specify the nature of the issue you are encountering. Without this information, it may be difficult for others to address your concern effectively.

Aug 14, 2023 4:46 AM in response to LemuelAbsolom

It's still not working as before, but just thought I would add that I have noticed the same thing happens with Notes. If I click the share icon and try to send it to a note using the Notes app, that's now broken as well. Again, nothing changed except that iOS updated. I know Flipboard is not an Apple app, but it didn't change, iOS did. And with the iOS change something about the Mail and Notes apps (and maybe others) changed.

Feb 16, 2024 7:34 AM in response to LemuelAbsolom

Seems this issue with Flipboard is still happening.

Environment: iPad 7th Gen, iOS 17.3.1

Seems this actually started happening with iOS 16.x. Worked fine under iOS 15.x. If I remember correctly, I likely updated to iOS 16 over last summer. Then to iOS 17 a couple of months ago.

When opening Apple Share and selecting eMail, the app will open and create a new msg. After recipient is filled in and the UP ARROW (send) button is selected, that window closes and no sound is heard, indicating sent eMail, nor is there any copy in the Sent box.

Through the Apple Share I can select the Copy action and manually open my eMail and create a mew msg, pasting the link. That completes as normal with the swoosh sound and a msg appearing in the Sent box. Problem with this step is that (1) it requires more steps and (2) the use information, including pre-population of the Subject, etc. is not available.

Seems that Flipboard can open Apple eMail to create the msg, but when the Send button is selected, the msg window closes and nothing happens. It would appear to be an Apple / iOS matter.

With the last two iOS updates, I believe, that have been some additional local network access selections that needed to be made for select apps. However, I cannot find anything like this for Flipboard, etc.

Share to Email in Flipboard Does Not open Email, Crashes Flipboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.