Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Notes crashing and losing content

Hello,

I'm working on my iPad 9th generation, which is on the latest stable software so far (iPadOS 16.6).

As someone in the Apple ecosystem, I work in iCloud, so Notes is linked to that instead of being locally stored, and as it should, while I'm writing, Apple periodically uploads my note to iCloud.

The problem is, Apple Notes has crashed like 5 times in the last deep note-taking sessions I've had, and when it does so, I re-enter the App just to see the version of my note who was last uploaded to iCloud, which is usually my note without the things I wrote in the last 20 minutes.

Last time I was working on a project I had this problem several times; I researched and applied all the possible solutions; restarting my iPad, check for software updates, deactivating and activating Apple Notes iCloud, etc. That seemed to work out for a bit but today it happened again.

It's important to note (lol) that I work with an off-brand Pencil, which -especially when on low battery- has a huge lag when writing, which makes my device somewhat hot; however, I've not seen a direct relationship between that and my problem.

That's all, I've used this app extensively, for school and work and it just worked! I'd definitely wouldn't like to change it for other application.

Thanks in regard,

Adrián.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 4:39 AM

This has happen to me a few times now and I lose almost an hours worth of work that I can't get back as I've been writing notes in a meeting. What is the solution? It almost seems that if you come out of the 'note' and to the main folder view, then go back in, it uses the last saved version in iCloud rather than the 'local' stored file you have just come out of. It is becoming a really frustrating issue to the point where I can't use notes because I can't afford to lose the notes I've been taking.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2024 4:39 AM in response to Matthew_J5

This has happen to me a few times now and I lose almost an hours worth of work that I can't get back as I've been writing notes in a meeting. What is the solution? It almost seems that if you come out of the 'note' and to the main folder view, then go back in, it uses the last saved version in iCloud rather than the 'local' stored file you have just come out of. It is becoming a really frustrating issue to the point where I can't use notes because I can't afford to lose the notes I've been taking.

Aug 7, 2023 1:32 PM in response to merinoa

Hi there merinoa,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We understand your Notes app is crashing.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting at your end and that your device is up-to-date with iPadOS.

As the issue continues, we recommend contacting Apple Support to further troubleshooting. You can reach them here: Apple Support

Take care.

Apple Notes crashing and losing content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.