how to find an owner of a locked iphone

Found an discharged iphone left on a beach and would like to return it to its owner but it is locked. i can see the serial number but that's all. any suggestions? thanks

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:53 PM

If you have found a device, turn it on and see if there's a message. The owner may have done this:

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

"What happens if you activate Mark As Lost

...You can also display a custom message with your phone number on the Lock screen, and keep track of your device's location."

For some iPhones see the support article "Return a lost, locked iPhone"; click here --> Return a lost, locked iPhone - Apple Support

Otherwise turn it into authorities responsible for dealing with lost items.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 6:53 PM in response to Joseph A Finan III

If you have found a device, turn it on and see if there's a message. The owner may have done this:

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

"What happens if you activate Mark As Lost

...You can also display a custom message with your phone number on the Lock screen, and keep track of your device's location."

For some iPhones see the support article "Return a lost, locked iPhone"; click here --> Return a lost, locked iPhone - Apple Support

Otherwise turn it into authorities responsible for dealing with lost items.

Jul 1, 2024 4:43 PM in response to vanesa189

If you purchased this phone from some and it is still locked to the owner, chances are they sold you a stolen phone.

Activation lock is a security protocol that can't be bypassed. Only the person it is locked to can unlock it.

If you bought this from someone and it came locked, try to get your money back, you will never be able to use the phone.

If your phone is Activation Locked - How to remove Activation Lock -

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used phone -

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

how to find an owner of a locked iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.