Calendar alerts

Why are calendar alerts backwards? What is the logic that has the second alert happening BEFORE the first alert? First always comes before second, except in the Apple universe where second comes first. Why? It’s always confused the heck out of me and I know I’m not the only one.

For the record, I do understand that one is simply called “alert” (not “first alert”) and the other is called “second alert” but still, temporally, one occurs before the other so in no logical sense should it be named “second.”

I don’t know where else to ask this or put in the feature recommendation that Apple please use real logic instead of the logic that some software engineer had and that all of us users have had to follow for years as a consequence. Any chance Apple will ever change this?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 2:42 AM

No, I’m not mixed up. There isn’t a specific example to give, because I’m describing an observable feature that occurs every time you use the calendar app on your Apple device. I’m not sure how you aren’t understanding what I’ve described.

Anytime you create an event in your Apple calendar, it offers you the option to set an alert. You can then edit the event and add a second alert.

The app is programmed so that the alert is ALWAYS the one that happens closest to the event, and the second alert is ALWAYS the one that happens farther away from the event, which means that, in time, it happens first. The app overrides any effort by the user to set up the second alert to occur later in time than the alert. This happens every time. Try it for yourself and see.

For example, if I create an event to occur tomorrow at 2 pm in my time zone, and then set an alert for 10 minutes before, it’s straightforward—I’ll get an alert at 1:50 pm in my time zone.

If, however, I edit the event and try to set an alert for an hour before (1 pm) and a second alert for 10 minutes before (1:50 pm), the system will automatically switch it so that the second alert occurs an hour before, and the alert occurs 10 minutes before.

So tell me, in what universe is the “second” alert at 1 pm, while the other alert is at 1:50? Clearly, 1:50 is later than 1, so it should be the “second” alert. It comes after the first alert. That’s how we describe the order of things.

There are other posts in this community where other users have described their frustration because they think the system has a bug since it switches the alerts. I’m definitely not the only one who finds this illogical. Every person I’ve talked to about it (friends, colleagues) also agrees that the logic is entirely backwards.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 2:42 AM in response to SravanKrA

No, I’m not mixed up. There isn’t a specific example to give, because I’m describing an observable feature that occurs every time you use the calendar app on your Apple device. I’m not sure how you aren’t understanding what I’ve described.

Anytime you create an event in your Apple calendar, it offers you the option to set an alert. You can then edit the event and add a second alert.

The app is programmed so that the alert is ALWAYS the one that happens closest to the event, and the second alert is ALWAYS the one that happens farther away from the event, which means that, in time, it happens first. The app overrides any effort by the user to set up the second alert to occur later in time than the alert. This happens every time. Try it for yourself and see.

For example, if I create an event to occur tomorrow at 2 pm in my time zone, and then set an alert for 10 minutes before, it’s straightforward—I’ll get an alert at 1:50 pm in my time zone.

If, however, I edit the event and try to set an alert for an hour before (1 pm) and a second alert for 10 minutes before (1:50 pm), the system will automatically switch it so that the second alert occurs an hour before, and the alert occurs 10 minutes before.

So tell me, in what universe is the “second” alert at 1 pm, while the other alert is at 1:50? Clearly, 1:50 is later than 1, so it should be the “second” alert. It comes after the first alert. That’s how we describe the order of things.

There are other posts in this community where other users have described their frustration because they think the system has a bug since it switches the alerts. I’m definitely not the only one who finds this illogical. Every person I’ve talked to about it (friends, colleagues) also agrees that the logic is entirely backwards.

May 12, 2024 10:07 AM in response to Twentytwomay

The big question is why, after over a decade (google it), apple has continued to allow this illogic on one of their products after so many of their loyal customers have pointed out that they don’t like it? Apple may actually think the logic behind their first and second alerts is sound, but that shouldn’t matter. We, the customers hate it and that alone should be a reason for change.

Apr 14, 2024 11:02 AM in response to Twentytwomay

to the original poster of why are calendar events are backwards (and to the rest of you that are searching for clarity in a muddled world):

you (the original poster) have explained your thinking very well. The logic you possess is, in my view, sound. Apple is tripping me out with this craziness. Whuuuuu? 1,2,3,4,5 etc

first second third fourth and so on.

please! Socrates would be ashamed of how less than far we've come. "second alert" implies "alert" means first. Please listen to us. Thanks o.g. poster..you're not alone

Apr 18, 2024 8:11 AM in response to SravanKrA

if you want two alerts, one an hour before the event (alert) and another closer to the time of the event, (second alert) apple switches them and makes the second alert closer to the time of the event and the just plain "alert" earlier than the "second alert" which we all presume is second in time, otherwise, why designate a "second" alert? It's illogical.

Aug 7, 2023 1:48 AM in response to Twentytwomay

Twentytwomay wrote:

I don’t know where else to ask this or put in the feature recommendation that Apple please use real logic instead of the logic that some software engineer had and that all of us users have had to follow for years as a consequence. Any chance Apple will ever change this?

This is a user-to-user public forum.

Apple Support Community Forum

This is Apple Support Community forum, for user-to-user interaction for information & idea sharing between users, if need be, extend support on technical know-how in handling Apple products from more experienced fellow users, This is not the right forum to discuss with Apple Inc.

Aug 7, 2023 1:58 AM in response to Twentytwomay

You have not given and example of any specific event where you encountered issue as stated by you. With the limited information that you have provided, I can only guess that you probably are mixed up with two similar events that you may have accidentally created. Please re-check at your end.

When you set multiple alerts for the same event, the first alert you set will be notified first. The second alert will trigger at the time you set it to occur, after the first alert has been triggered.

For example, if you set the first alert to notify you 1 hour before the event, and the second alert to notify you 30 minutes before the event, the first alert will go off at the 1-hour mark, and then the second alert will go off 30 minutes later.

May 7, 2024 5:24 PM in response to Twentytwomay

I have this issue where when I set up a repeat appointment on my iPhone where the First Alert is "At time of event", 2nd alert shows NONE. When I look at the appointment on my iPad for that same appointment, Second Alert shows "Default (1 hour before). At some point, they sync, and I get a Second Alert 1 hour before now on BOTH DEVICES, which I NEVER WANTED OR ENTERED. I am on the latest IOS for both devices (IOS 17.4.1).

Calendar alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.