Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Keyboard typing in random characters

Hello! I have an older MacBook and haven’t had issues up until lately. First one at a time several keys stopped working. I got an external keyboard and everything was fine. Now all of my keys on my actual MacBook seem to type in foreign characters even though the language preferences are all clearly set to English. My keys will randomly get stuck and type out random characters and it seems to be now affecting my photoshop as well since none of took bar is working as usual. I have a feeling it’s due to the stuck keys. Needless to say it’s been a headache. Is there anyway to fix something like this or disable my MacBook keyboard altogether? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 11:24 AM

That can be keyboard debris, or a keyboard failure, or can be caused by a battery that is swelling.

Debris is much less likely here, given your problem description and the testing you have already performed.

This probably won’t help: How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

What probably will help: bring it into an Apple Store or an Apple authorized service provider for a look and for some diagnostics.

If this is the battery swelling, bringing it in sooner is better than later. When swelling progresses—again, assuming this is due to battery swelling—you can sometimes see deformities and bulging occurring when sighting along the edges and surfaces of the MacBook Pro chassis.

If the keyboard has failed, this will probably involve either replacing the top case (the keyboard is part of a much larger assembly), maybe also the battery if that’s the trigger here, or replacing the whole MacBook Pro.

Have current and complete backups of your data, too.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 11:24 AM in response to bafluffia

That can be keyboard debris, or a keyboard failure, or can be caused by a battery that is swelling.

Debris is much less likely here, given your problem description and the testing you have already performed.

This probably won’t help: How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

What probably will help: bring it into an Apple Store or an Apple authorized service provider for a look and for some diagnostics.

If this is the battery swelling, bringing it in sooner is better than later. When swelling progresses—again, assuming this is due to battery swelling—you can sometimes see deformities and bulging occurring when sighting along the edges and surfaces of the MacBook Pro chassis.

If the keyboard has failed, this will probably involve either replacing the top case (the keyboard is part of a much larger assembly), maybe also the battery if that’s the trigger here, or replacing the whole MacBook Pro.

Have current and complete backups of your data, too.

Keyboard typing in random characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.