iPhone X occasionally won't receive or make calls, and I have to restart it.

What's the problem and what can I do to prevent having to do this? I haven't changed any of the settings.

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 4:55 PM

clayhalo wrote: "I've replaced the battery once..."

Was it replaced by a qualified technician using a genuine iPhone battery?...

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification - Official Apple Support

õ¿õ¬

11 replies

Aug 7, 2023 5:10 PM in response to clayhalo

clayhalo wrote: "It was replaced at the Apple store."

Okay, good. This is the likely reason for the occasional calling problem: "Your battery's health is significantly degraded". The weak battery can't supply sufficient power to the iPhone's antenna to consistently connect with cell tower signals. Have the aging battery replaced and all will (probably) be well:

iPhone Battery Service

...found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.

õ¿õ¬

Aug 8, 2023 12:50 AM in response to clayhalo

clayhalo wrote: "iPhone batteries only last for two years?"

It can be much longer – depending particularly on the number of charging cycles the iPhone has clocked up.

But in your case there could be another factor: The iPhone X was introduced in 2017 and perhaps your 2021 replacement battery had been sitting in the Apple Store since then. A battery can degrade simply by being stored and not used.

clayhalo wrote: "Why does re-starting the phone help?"

I don't know, so I asked the free A.I. app ChatGPT:

An iPhone with a weak battery can seemingly recover some strength after it has been restarted. What could be a possible explanation for this?

When you restart an iPhone with a weak battery, it can temporarily appear to recover some strength due to the way the device’s operating system manages power and background processes. Restarting the iPhone stops any background apps and processes that might be consuming power excessively or inefficiently. This can provide a brief respite from battery drain, making the device seem like it has regained some battery strength.

Additionally, software glitches or bugs can sometimes cause abnormal power consumption. Restarting the iPhone can help reset these glitches and temporarily improve battery performance. However, if the battery is genuinely weak or degraded, the improvement will likely be short-lived, and the battery’s overall capacity will continue to diminish over time.

ChatGPT app for iOS & iPadOS

õ¿õ¬

iPhone X occasionally won't receive or make calls, and I have to restart it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.