I have open source software on my device and chrome://credits

I can't update safari on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I also believe my device is being manipulated by Developers. I have open source software on my device and invalid root certificates. System has administrator account but shouldn't and I want to remove beta profile also, please help? I also have chrome://credits and I don't think this is normal either.

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 9:33 PM

14 replies

Aug 7, 2023 10:20 PM in response to Devinemind

Chrome is an open source project, and incorporates other open source projects. You have here “found” the (mundane, benign) Chrome credit and attribution information for those constituent open source projects.

iOS does not offer separate users, and the internal implementation is only visible once security is breached.

I would discourage running any iOS beta on any device you need to work, with any data you need available and uncorrupted, and with any iCloud data you need available and uncorrupted. Beta profiles are no longer used for iOS betas, as well.

As for any installed expired certificates, remove the associated profiles.

Aug 8, 2023 3:45 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:

So all my devices, my phones, my laptops, my printer, etc. are all infected with this embedded code. I've been dealing with this for over 10years

You’ve not posted any indication of any issues here, whether security or otherwise. None.

While you may or may not be having security issues—and again, nothing posted so far indicates any issues—those issues are not related to Chrome and about:credits for open source code.

Aug 8, 2023 5:05 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:

Well I don't know how to remove these profiles and as usual I have not had anyone help me with doing so. I'll learn and figure it out myself because I will succeed in everything by continuing to learn.

The images embedded above do not show any profiles.

Benign, mundane, normal, expected attributions, yes.

Profiles, no.

Aug 8, 2023 5:57 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:

I don't know how to remove these things and every time I try to get any assistance with this I'm told that there's nothing wrong with my devices. Can you help me?

If you want to remove these things from your iPhone, delete the Google Chrome app. The notice is telling you that the Google Chrome app uses code from all of those projects – and it is giving you links to the licenses for those projects, and in many cases, links to their home pages.

In some cases, telling you that Google Chrome uses a certain project, and that you can get the original source code that Google used at such-and-such a place, is a legal requirement that Google must honor to be able to use that code (instead of having to write their own from scratch, or pay someone to develop code for them).

Note that there may be other apps on your iPhone that use Open Source components and deleting the Google Chrome app will not delete whatever Open Source modules might be built into those apps.

Aug 8, 2023 6:05 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:

So all my devices, my phones, my laptops, my printer, etc. are all infected with this embedded code. I've been dealing with this for over 10years

No, they are not "infected".

Complaining that a company provides credits regarding the software components that it uses – whether those components are Free Software, Open Source, or Closed Source – is like complaining that at the beginning and end of a movie, there are credits for the actors, actresses, set designers, camera operators, and other people and companies who put the movie together.

Aug 8, 2023 6:41 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:
…All I do know is that this stuff that's on my devices is there and I didn't ask for it, join anything and I didn't put it there so if you can't help me get my issue solved then buzz off.

You don’t have an issue. There is nothing here to solve. There is nothing wrong here.

If you don’t want the Chrome browser app installed, delete it.

If you do want Chrome installed, then it necessarily comes with its open source dependencies integrated.

Again, there is nothing obviously wrong with the Chrome browser install here, and no indications of any malware.

Aug 8, 2023 6:44 PM in response to Devinemind

Devinemind wrote:

Servant of cats, you don't have to be a smart *** ok.

I'm not. What the others are telling you about this being an innocuous list of attributions is true, but you keep claiming that it isn't. So I explained it to you in greater detail.

All I do know is that this stuff that's on my devices is there and I didn't ask for it, join anything and I didn't put it there so if you can't help me get my issue solved then buzz off. Peace and Love

You didn't ask for it? You did when you downloaded Google Chrome. Same as you ask for a starter motor when you buy a gas-powered car, whether or not you make an explicit request to the dealer to include a starter motor, or not.

If the code came with embedded malware – to, say, encrypt your files for ransom – or secretly make recordings of you and send them to Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin – that would be one thing. (And in that case, it would not matter whether the malware was Open Source or not. It's the function of the malware, not the source code license, that would be offensive.)

But "Acorn, a tiny fast JavaScript parser written in JavaScript"? JavaScript is a scripting language implemented by all modern Web browsers. Some component that helps a Web browser implement JavaScript would seem to be a pretty normal and harmless component to me.

I have open source software on my device and chrome://credits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.