Numbers not showing 0 in front of phone number

I have set a phone number custom format in a cell so that it has spaces in it, but it doesn't show the zero at the beginning of the phone number. The number showing should be 0413 867 401 but only shows 413 867 401.

Many thanks,

Hayley

413 867 401

Many thanks,

Hayley

iMac 24″

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 11:31 AM

Hi Hayley,

I set a Custom format using 0000 000 000 as the format.

When viewed afterwards, a number including a leading zero, and including the spaces displayed as shown in cell B2 below. The Format description showed as seen to the right of the table.

The formatting did not seem to hold when I attempted to expand it into the cells below B2, Nor did it apply when the number was entered with no spaces.

A second approach might be to set the cells that will contain the phone numbers to 'text'.

This makes the cell treat any entry, including 'numbers' as text. The 'numbers' will need to be entered as you want them displayed—including the two spaces, but that appeared to be true for B2, set to the custom format shown above.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 11:31 AM in response to HayleyHatzi

Hi Hayley,

I set a Custom format using 0000 000 000 as the format.

When viewed afterwards, a number including a leading zero, and including the spaces displayed as shown in cell B2 below. The Format description showed as seen to the right of the table.

The formatting did not seem to hold when I attempted to expand it into the cells below B2, Nor did it apply when the number was entered with no spaces.

A second approach might be to set the cells that will contain the phone numbers to 'text'.

This makes the cell treat any entry, including 'numbers' as text. The 'numbers' will need to be entered as you want them displayed—including the two spaces, but that appeared to be true for B2, set to the custom format shown above.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers not showing 0 in front of phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.