Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

There’s been a problem with a previous purchase

I keep getting this pop up when trying to both install and update apps that have no cost at all. I did purchase a subscription in the past but cancelled it as it was no use to me. And yes I cancelled it before the due date (was a yearly subscription). Im not sure what else could be causing this and it’s really inconvenient for me trying to download apps that I need

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 12:01 AM

Re: "There’s been a problem with a previous purchase" :

"pop up when trying to both install and update apps that have no cost at all"

✽ If you have disputed a charge from Apple, you may need to ask your card-provider to allow payments to Apple again.

or:

✽ Seems Apple requires that a payment method is listed in your Apple ID account for the first time you download apps from the App Store, even if you are only downloading free apps.

else:

✽ Apple support have an article online that may help troubleshoot:

What to do: If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 12:01 AM in response to MCBETHMCBURGER

Re: "There’s been a problem with a previous purchase" :

"pop up when trying to both install and update apps that have no cost at all"

✽ If you have disputed a charge from Apple, you may need to ask your card-provider to allow payments to Apple again.

or:

✽ Seems Apple requires that a payment method is listed in your Apple ID account for the first time you download apps from the App Store, even if you are only downloading free apps.

else:

✽ Apple support have an article online that may help troubleshoot:

What to do: If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

There’s been a problem with a previous purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.