Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to edit my document in Preview after unlocking it?

Created my document using Pages and exported it to PDF.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:48 AM

Apple ships no PDF Editor with the operating system if by editing, you imply changing the underlying text in the PDF. If that is the case, either make the changes in Pages and export the PDF again, or purchase a proper PDF Editor from the Mac App Store.

Adding annotations as another layer in the PDF is not editing a PDF. Are you experiencing issues with annotation?

I can generate any number of PDFs from Pages and they are immediately able to be annotated. Nothing is locked.

In Preview, press cmd+i to open the Inspector and then select the panel shown below. This PDF came directly from Pages v13.1 on macOS Ventura 13.5:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 5:48 AM in response to PowerCube97

Apple ships no PDF Editor with the operating system if by editing, you imply changing the underlying text in the PDF. If that is the case, either make the changes in Pages and export the PDF again, or purchase a proper PDF Editor from the Mac App Store.

Adding annotations as another layer in the PDF is not editing a PDF. Are you experiencing issues with annotation?

I can generate any number of PDFs from Pages and they are immediately able to be annotated. Nothing is locked.

In Preview, press cmd+i to open the Inspector and then select the panel shown below. This PDF came directly from Pages v13.1 on macOS Ventura 13.5:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.