Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Pop-up message said my iPhone has been hacked, what to do?

I used a google search that took me to a different page that showed a pop up massage saying my iphone was hacked. I do not see any change on my iphone or odd activities as yet and my two two factor identification is also on. is there anything to worry about?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 4:04 PM

A pop up came on my screen when I went on a website saying that I’ve been hacked I panicked and pressed a link and took my to the App Store to download an app realizing it was a scam I didn’t download app but because of clicking the link could this been I’ve been hacked?

9 replies

Aug 8, 2023 5:23 AM in response to thando113

It is a scam ignore it.

Scam pop-ups that claim your device is being hacked are unfortunately common tactics used by cybercriminals to try to trick users into taking actions that compromise their security. These pop-ups often attempt to create a sense of urgency to make you panic and take immediate action. Here are some steps you can take to avoid falling victim to these scams:

1. Scammers often use scare tactics to pressure you into making hasty decisions. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that legitimate alerts from your device or service providers won't use threatening language.
  2. Do not click on any buttons, links, or pop-ups presented by the message. Avoid interacting with the pop-up in any way, as clicking on it could potentially trigger a harmful action.
  3. Scam pop-ups may include phone numbers to call for "help." These numbers usually connect you to the scammers themselves or to fraudulent "tech support" that will try to extract personal information or money from you.
  4. If the pop-up appears while you're browsing the web, close the tab or the entire app. You can do this by pressing the home button or using the task switcher to close the app on your device.
  5. If the pop-up appears while you're using a web browser, consider clearing your browsing history and data. This can help remove any potentially harmful scripts or cookies that may have triggered the pop-up.
  6. Ensure that your device's operating system, apps, and security software are up to date. Regular updates often include security patches that help protect you from known vulnerabilities.
  7. Many browsers offer content blockers or ad-blockers that can help prevent malicious pop-ups from appearing while you browse the web. Consider using a reputable content blocker.
  8. Make sure your device's pop-up blocker settings are enabled in your browser's settings. This can help prevent unwanted pop-ups from appearing.
  9. Only click on links from sources you trust. Avoid clicking on suspicious links in emails, messages, or on websites you're not familiar with.

Remember that legitimate security alerts won't ask you to provide personal information, download software, or call a phone number. If you're unsure about the validity of a pop-up, it's always best to err on the side of caution and follow the steps outlined above to protect yourself.

Apr 26, 2024 5:19 PM in response to thando113

Same thing I got the pop-up twice the first time I panicked and factory reset my phone. The second time I decided to go here it’s just a scam. Don’t worry, but I did notice some odd things when I was in settings. I was turning a passcode on just in case, and when I was doing that, let’s just say Face ID for iTunes and App Store turned off and then turned back on which I noticed was strange. Also saw some red thing when I was switching a webpage and it looked weird. It almost looked like the Pinterest logo. I wasn’t actually able to see what it was but those are just some things I not other than that. I’m pretty sure it’s just a scam, but it is the second time I’ve seen it so it’s more common, and it happens that it only happens on that phone. It doesn’t happen on my iPad and it never happened on my older iPhone. OK I should probably wrap this up because this is really long.

Apr 26, 2024 5:30 PM in response to thando113

Federal Trade Commission – How To Spot, Avoid, and Report Tech Support Scams

"Tech support scammers may try to trick you with a pop-up window that appears on your computer screen. It might look like an error message from your operating system or antivirus software, and it might use logos from trusted companies or websites. The message in the window warns you about a security issue on your computer and tells you to call a phone number to get help.

If you get this kind of pop-up window on your computer, don’t call the number. Real security warnings and messages will never ask you to call a phone number."

Substitute "phone" for "computer" and the advice is just as good.

Pop-up message said my iPhone has been hacked, what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.