Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Colour wheels versus Colour curves

Working with a lot of footage that has a dense blacks. If I use the Wheels I can pull up the 'Shadows' a tiny bit, and dip the 'Midtones', which gives me more information from the shadows, but doesn't start to look smokey.

I can do the same with 'Curves'. I'm wondering if there is a difference between lifting the Shadows with the 'Wheels', or with the 'Curves'? Is there more control with the curves, or can I get the deepest shadows up a bit without incurring the smokey look?

Or am I getting the same results with the 'Wheels'?; which keeps things simpler.

All ears, Ben

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:51 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 8, 2023 6:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Original (below). These look a bit dark when I bring them into the Apple Forum. The originals on my Apple Studio screen appear brighter. Might just be all this white real estate around the image.

Below: slightly tweaked by pulling up shadows, adding a bit of highlight, and pulling down the mids to keep it from getting 'smokey'. I can't pull up the highlights for most of the shots because there are bright computer screens in the background.

Aug 8, 2023 11:18 PM in response to Ben Low

All the color tools are just different approaches to accomplish the same thing. Whatever you grok.

I don't particularly care for any of the (so-called) "color correction" tools... IMO, they're mostly... meh.

I don't need LUTs when working with RAW either (or creating "looks").

This is what I deal with:

Sometimes, I don't need both, just one or the other. But both together is usually everything I need.

Colour wheels versus Colour curves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.