Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Can I make the message notification sound come through iPhone speaker when connected to Bluetooth headphones?

I spend most of my day with my iPhone connected to my Bluetooth neckband headphones. So for most of the day, the headphones are not in my ears, they are just around my neck.

The problem is that when I get a text, the notification sound plays in the Bluetooth headphones so I do not hear it.

So what I want to do is have the message notification sound play on the iPhone speaker when my Bluetooth headphones are connected.

It used to work that way in the past, but now the notification only sounds in the Bluetooth headphones

iPhone 5s

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2024 2:36 PM

I have the same issue. I use my phone and Bluetooth headset for work. When I finish a call, I set down the headset onto its base station/charging dock, like any normal call center headset. When you’re done with all of your calls, you set down your headset. You don’t wear it all 8-12 hours of your work day. So, when any alert arrives, it needs to still play on the phone speakers, just like a normal phone at a call center, even if the headset is connected to the phone, the actual phone still rings to alert you. Then you put on the headset and push the button to take the call, with the headset still connected to the phone. One cannot be turning off & on & reconnecting the headset for each call, just to not interfere with the faulty ringer operation.

As you currently have it, I have to choose between not hearing the ringer, or turning off the headset to hear the ringer, & back on, & waiting for Bluetooth to connect, to pick up the call, for each and every call.

Dumb design. Fix it!

Simply enable toggle switches in the “sounds and haptics” section for ringer to make noise on phone when connected to Bluetooth.

You can take it one step further and save that toggle setting per different Bluetooth device; wherein, some devices you want the sound only on the device, like a Bluetooth speaker, and other devices, like a Bluetooth headset; wherein, you need the sound to alert on both headset & phone.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2024 2:36 PM in response to baadb

I have the same issue. I use my phone and Bluetooth headset for work. When I finish a call, I set down the headset onto its base station/charging dock, like any normal call center headset. When you’re done with all of your calls, you set down your headset. You don’t wear it all 8-12 hours of your work day. So, when any alert arrives, it needs to still play on the phone speakers, just like a normal phone at a call center, even if the headset is connected to the phone, the actual phone still rings to alert you. Then you put on the headset and push the button to take the call, with the headset still connected to the phone. One cannot be turning off & on & reconnecting the headset for each call, just to not interfere with the faulty ringer operation.

As you currently have it, I have to choose between not hearing the ringer, or turning off the headset to hear the ringer, & back on, & waiting for Bluetooth to connect, to pick up the call, for each and every call.

Dumb design. Fix it!

Simply enable toggle switches in the “sounds and haptics” section for ringer to make noise on phone when connected to Bluetooth.

You can take it one step further and save that toggle setting per different Bluetooth device; wherein, some devices you want the sound only on the device, like a Bluetooth speaker, and other devices, like a Bluetooth headset; wherein, you need the sound to alert on both headset & phone.

Aug 9, 2023 2:00 PM in response to ryane77

I've submitted my feedback as suggested.

However, I would observe:

That my message notifications used to play on the iPhone speaker when connected to my bluetooth headphones...

and

On this thread Message notifications using Bluetooth - Apple Community Apple Support say, "that text (message) notifications are designed NOT to go through the Bluetooth device" the exact opporsite of what you are saying...

So something is not right:

You can't both be right

And given that it used to work suggests it's a bug not a design "feature"...

May 27, 2024 6:00 PM in response to Erint2278

Erint2278 wrote:

I'm guessing this problem hasn't been fixed. I am having an awful time with this feature. I can't my beats in my ears all day long. The phone needs to be able to ring when texts come in.

But you can turn your beats off when you aren’t wearing them. That will make their batteries last longer, also.

Apparently Apple doesn’t believe it is a “problem” that needs fixing. I don’t either. When I take out my earbuds I put them in their case, which turns them off and, incidentally, prevents them from getting lost.

Mar 14, 2024 7:35 AM in response to liny2sd

liny2sd wrote:

Dumb design. Fix it!

No one participating in this forum can do what you want. You can let Apple know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 16, 2024 9:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I agree that the ability to set different notifications for different Bluetooth devices would be the best way to handle this feature, if it comes to be. Please make this happen. I play music in my shop on a BT speaker, but all of my various notifications keep playing sounds loudly through the speaker. Allow to have the notifications sounds still play on the iPhone. I have also been in the situation others have referred to, where I missed a call or text message because the ring/notification was playing on a BT device that I could not hear at that time, such as earbuds.

May 16, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Fritz Green

Fritz Green wrote:

I agree that the ability to set different notifications for different Bluetooth devices would be the best way to handle this feature, if it comes to be. Please make this happen.

Neither I nor anyone else participating in these forums can "make this happen." Use the feedback link I already provided to tell Apple what you'd like to see.

Can I make the message notification sound come through iPhone speaker when connected to Bluetooth headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.