5 out of 5 gb of icloud storage is full but i have a 128gb iphone

My icloud is full 5 out of 5 gb, i had to upgrade to a monthly storage plan and i dont get why i have to pay more for icloud storage when i payed more money for a 128 gb iphone, i need help understanding this.

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:27 PM

Local storage and iCloud storage are different things.

Your phone has 128 GB of local built-in storage that exists on a chip (or on several chips) inside your phone.

iCloud storage is on Apple’s servers, out on the Internet (“in the cloud”). It helps you synchronize data such as calendar events, contacts, notes, and photos between multiple devices. You get 5 GB of free iCloud storage; after that, if you want more, you have to rent it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 5:27 PM in response to EmanuelRodrigue

Local storage and iCloud storage are different things.

Your phone has 128 GB of local built-in storage that exists on a chip (or on several chips) inside your phone.

iCloud storage is on Apple’s servers, out on the Internet (“in the cloud”). It helps you synchronize data such as calendar events, contacts, notes, and photos between multiple devices. You get 5 GB of free iCloud storage; after that, if you want more, you have to rent it.

Aug 9, 2023 2:22 AM in response to EmanuelRodrigue

Local storage is where you keep just about everything - such as iOS, your apps, your music / movies / TV shows, and photos (even if you are also syncing those through iCloud). Also where you keep offline listening copies of Apple Music songs, if you subscribe to it and want to play songs when you don’t have an Internet connection or are trying to avoid cellular data charges.

More local storage = more room to hold these and other things.

5 out of 5 gb of icloud storage is full but i have a 128gb iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.