Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apps on iPad Air first gen md786ll/b not working

I have a first generation Ipad Air, and pretty much all of my apps are unusable as they expect the latest software ver 14, not the 12 that the Air first gen can only accommodate. How do I make all of my apps function again? It seems the only work around is to delete and update to get to the prompt stating that the latest version will not work, and to download the older version. This seems like an overly cumbersome process.

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 5:51 PM

The original iPad Air, released by Apple ten years ago, cannot use an iOS version greater than 12.5.X.

rpochi wrote:

they expect the latest software ver 14, not the 12 that the Air first gen can only accommodate.

Actually, the latest software is not version 14. The current iPadOS version is 16.6, released some four years after the latest software your iPad can use. It’s time to update your hardware.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 5:51 PM in response to rpochi

The original iPad Air, released by Apple ten years ago, cannot use an iOS version greater than 12.5.X.

rpochi wrote:

they expect the latest software ver 14, not the 12 that the Air first gen can only accommodate.

Actually, the latest software is not version 14. The current iPadOS version is 16.6, released some four years after the latest software your iPad can use. It’s time to update your hardware.

Apps on iPad Air first gen md786ll/b not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.